Is it better to take a lot of prereqs per semester, or take 1 or 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I heard that dental schools don't like it if you take 1 or 2 prereqs at a time, because they think that you can't handle a full load in dental school.

On the other hand, if you take just 1 or 2 prereqs at a time, you can focus all of your time and energy into those few classes, and therefore get better grades, and learn more, which will be handy when the DAT comes around.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that dental schools don't like it if you take 1 or 2 prereqs at a time, because they think that you can't handle a full load in dental school.

On the other hand, if you take just 1 or 2 prereqs at a time, you can focus all of your time and energy into those few classes, and therefore get better grades, and learn more, which will be handy when the DAT comes around.

Thoughts?

It depends on whether or you not you're a full time or part time student. If you go to school full time and take 12 to 15 credits at least 2 science classes should be taken at the same time + 1 or 2 other prereqs. So a full time student should be taking Bio 1, Gen Chem 1, English 1, and Psychology. You dont have to take more than 2 science classes at a time until you exhaust all your other classes. Or if you work part time while in school you can probably justify taking 1 science class part semester but then again it will take you longer time to graduate. Hope this helps.

Regardless of any # of classes, the most important factor is the overall GPA. If you overload and bomb, you'll look a lot worse than someone who took 2 classes per semester and came out with a high GPA. They'll be viewed as the better candidate.

It depends on whether or you not you're a full time or part time student. If you go to school full time and take 12 to 15 credits at least 2 science classes should be taken at the same time + 1 or 2 other prereqs. So a full time student should be taking Bio 1, Gen Chem 1, English 1, and Psychology. You dont have to take more than 2 science classes at a time until you exhaust all your other classes. Or if you work part time while in school you can probably justify taking 1 science class part semester but then again it will take you longer time to graduate. Hope this helps.

Regardless of any # of classes, the most important factor is the overall GPA. If you overload and bomb, you'll look a lot worse than someone who took 2 classes per semester and came out with a high GPA. They'll be viewed as the better candidate.
I agree.

Thanks for the reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
What year are you? If just getting started I wouldn't recommend taking more than 1-2/semester. Once you get comfortable you can mess around with more .

What year are you? If just getting started I wouldn't recommend taking more than 1-2/semester. Once you get comfortable you can mess around with more .
I'm 25. I'm a nontraditional student. I majored in poli sci at UCSD with a fairly good cumulative GPA (3.456). The only prereqs I took in college, were psychology and the english requirement. I agree with you, that I should start out slowly. I actually have to, anyway, because calc and inorganic chem are prerequisites for the other prerequisites. :p

Thanks for your reply!

I would take one or two prereqs if I were you.