is it cheesy to put $$ amount of funding/grants on CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcliff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says. I'm thinking specifically about funding provided by my university for my doc program (e.g., tuition, fees, stipend, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

As the title says. I'm thinking specifically about funding provided by my university for my doc program (e.g., tuition, fees, stipend, etc.)

Tuition remission, stipend, etc. should not be a line item in your "funding" section. If you're attending a funded program, then that isn't a distinction specific to you and it doesn't need to be mentioned on your CV. If you win a competitive graduate fellowship or something like that, you could list it under awards and honors or funding, depending on whether additional research funds are attached.

For research funding, some institutions ask for a specific CV format that includes dollar amounts, but that is usually just for project grants or career development awards. If it's not required I leave off the specific dollar amount.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, good to hear -- I always have left off specific dollar amounts for awards and funding, but I recently read somewhere that dollar amounts should be listed to show your ability to "bring in revenue." I just wanted to check-in, and see what the consensus was.

Now if you were the PI on a multi-million dollar NIH grant then perhaps.
Then, absolutely.

You would never put stipends/tuition waivers from your doctoral program down. But if you go and specifically obtain the funding yourself outside of the program (NIH fellowship, grant, some other fellowship, etc) then I would say the amount you "brought in" is fair game.

If I am on a selection committee for a faculty position and see that someone got their own extetnal fellowship, or even some small dissertation grant while in grad school, I consider that a positive indicator. If someone listed their tuition waiver from their program, I'd probably throw the application out.

Reactions: 2 users
Never anything like a stipend from your doctoral program. Even a university-sponsored fellowship I would suggest listing under an awards section rather than as a grant/funding.

In contrast, if were to receive say an F31, NSF Fellowship or even something like an APA Dissertation Award, I think that is fair game to list as a grant. For those its completely appropriate to list the dollar amount and most of the time that is actually the expectation.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok -- I'm glad I checked, and like I said, I agree that it seemed like a bad idea. I wanted to confirm. :thumbup: