Is it easier to moonnlight during fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainmedicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My residency does not allow any moonlighting... I want to ask if it is easier to moonlight during fellowship? Does it need fellowship PD approval? I will have an unrestircted liscence during fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

Need to ask your program.

Yeah, this. I would assume the vast majority of fellowships allow moonlighting. It's also good to remember that most fellowships are a buyer's market, so if moonlighting is important, you can find a place that has it.

Now I'm curious how many residency programs don't allow moonlighting and why.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was allowed to start 1st year doing little probate court evals, then 3rd year started wherever we wanted. As a fellow, you may be board certified and able to do what you wish. As long as it doesn't interfere with the program, I don't see why they wouldn't allow it at any point. It really accelerated my learning. Did they give a reason?

Reactions: 1 user
My residency does not allow any moonlighting... I want to ask if it is easier to moonlight during fellowship? Does it need fellowship PD approval? I will have an unrestircted liscence during fellowship.
Most residents have an unrestricted license during residency. I don't know too many residencies that don't allow moonlighting.

Ask the fellowship program. Unless it's at the same place you're doing residency, you should be okay...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, this. I would assume the vast majority of fellowships allow moonlighting. It's also good to remember that most fellowships are a buyer's market, so if moonlighting is important, you can find a place that has it.

Now I'm curious how many residency programs don't allow moonlighting and why.

I know U. of Hawaii doesn't. They said it was state law, with an aim to reduce the workload of residents. I have no idea if that is true, but that's what they said. If true, it's horsecrap reasoning.

I know U. of Hawaii doesn't. They said it was state law, with an aim to reduce the workload of residents. I have no idea if that is true, but that's what they said. If true, it's horsecrap reasoning.

State law -- that's odd. I imagine there are GMEs that don't allow moonlighting for any residents. A resident moonlighting who provides bad care could reflect poorly on the program. There are also administrative hassles with moonlighting -- your moonlighting work still has to comply with ACGME duty hours for example. Residents could also get in over their head moonlighting and expose themselves and their careers (and of course their patients) to bad outcomes. It would be nice to get some mentorship from programs on these issues, including help with contracts (especially malpractice insurance issues) and guidance around avoiding sketchy work situations. These issues are less of a thing with fellows moonlighting, though, as fellows are already board eligible (aside from fast track child fellows in their first year).