Is it ever too early to get a rec letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted621740

I will be beginning my sophomore year this fall and I have been working in a lab, volunteering and shadowing an anesthesiologist. It just so happens that the Dr. And I had a lot in common and he offered to write me a letter (w/o me even asking!!) just wondering, would this be too early to receive a letter considering I won't be applying for about 3 years??

Members don't see this ad.

I will be beginning my sophomore year this fall and I have been working in a lab, volunteering and shadowing an anesthesiologist. It just so happens that the Dr. And I had a lot in common and he offered to write me a letter (w/o me even asking!!) just wondering, would this be too early to receive a letter considering I won't be applying for about 3 years??

If he writes you a letter now and you continue working with him or even if you don't you always have the option to have him revise it, so it's concurrent for med school. Never refuse a recommendation letter, they're really helpful to have especially as you build a portfolio of yourself and CV w/ references.

Reactions: 1 user
You will need two letters from science professors and at least one other at most schools . While it's nice that he offered to write a letter, an MD shadowing letter is of little use. If it's a "character" letter you are looking for, someone who has seen the depth and breadth of that character is a far better choice.

I am reliably informed that DO schools do value physician letters, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
You will need two letters from science professors at most schools. While it's nice that he offered to write a letter, an MD shadowing letter is of little use.

For a moment, I thought OP was working in a lab PI'd by the same anesthesiologist. Man I need some sleep :sleep:

Also, keep in mind that some med schools require all letters to be "current." One school I applied to this year required the date on LORs to be no more than one year old. I would never turn down an LOR (you can always accept it and decide later not to send to schools). Just keep in contact so that you can have them update the letter/change the date when you decide to apply.

I had a similar cardiology internship experience freshman year, and I just got the recommendation letter because I thouht it would be too inconvenient to remind the supervisor about me like three years later so I just had it written then. Probably won't use it, we'll se!