Is it just me?? school confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pt4me

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have read many posts on the forum about people going to schools and completely falling in love with the programs/faculty etc. I have seen people happy about the facilities or about how much the faculty cares. I have applied and been accepted to a few schools...one top 10 school, one top 50, one unranked and a couple others. Honestly, I feel like for me it is so hard to make a decision because going to the interviews and talking to people at the schools....1) All have good facilities comparable to each other 2) ALL the students LOVE the schools and will talk forever about why 3) All the faculty members seem very very welcoming and friendly. There was only maybe one school I went to where I didn't get this vibe.

Is it just me or did anyone else find this when they have been going to their schools? I feel like this makes it impossible to decide because I don't know which one will be the best for me. I haven't gone to one school and completely fallen in love at all and I kinda don't understand what falling in love with a school encompasses. All seem like solid programs with great opportunities. All had different aspects that made them unique. It's especially weird when I see people talking about a school I was just at and how they loved it and I think in my head, what made you want that school that badly? After one day of being at a school, getting a tour, talking with students, hearing about the program, and talking to the faculty, honestly, it is still hard for me to tell if I am going to like a school the most of all the schools I applied to.

Maybe I'm just different and I need to be attending a school to get the full vibe and "fall in love" with it. Anyone have any insight or in the same situation?

Members don't see this ad.

You are not alone....... I feel this way too, and as the deadlines draw near, I'm starting to feel annoyed with myself for not being able to decide on which school to go to. Are you deciding between many schools or just a few?

I'm deciding between two, maybe three. I'm glad you feel the same way I do. I mean honestly I think I'll be happy in any of the programs and from what I understand (hopefully!) will have great job opportunities wherever I go. I mean if everyone is as happy as they sound at the interviews and the professors are all that welcoming, then I should have a great experience at any of the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You really think they would let you talk to students who hate the program? As for the professors part of there job is to try and get the best students to come to the school, they aren't only interviewing you but you're also interviewing them. Basically it comes down to the cost of the program, the location, and a few other intangibles that vary from person to person.

I guess I'm one of those people...I interviewed at a few different schools and a couple of them I didn't get as comforting of a vibe as others. Some faculty I just felt were more warm and just 'my type'. Also, as far as students there- at one specific school I was very thankful that the kids we had lunch with were very real with us and gave us their honest opinions- positive or negative.
I guess it just depends on the person and the school. I can definitely see how some people could 'fall in love' with a school upon visiting it...that happened to me where I am @ undergrad and thank God, it hasnt changed the past 4 years- That also happened to where I've decided to go to grad school..I just felt immediately comfortable and felt like that's where I belong...while i'm sure that feeling is able to change after someone starts attending there, I can definitely see how people get this feeling. As far as those who don't-that's still great that you have so many options to choose from- best of luck with your decisions!