Is it necessary to register with NRMP before applying to programs via ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smashingdude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

The programs start receiving applications on September 15, 2014, and the NRMP match registration also opens on the same day. My question is, should I first register on the NRMP site, and then apply through ERAS, or I can register with the NRMP even later and its not a problem?

This is because I don't want to waste time registering for the NRMP, and want to apply as early as possible via ERAS. So like I can apply for the programs on 15th, and the NRMP registration by the 17th or so. (I don't know how much time NRMP registration takes)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It really, really doesn't matter. You can do it in any order.

Just register for the NRMP before mid-november or you get a late fee.

Reactions: 1 users
Last year, NRMP opened several hours after ERAS. Apply for ERAS and then do NRMP when you get the chance and update ERAS with your number.

Reactions: 1 user
You can update your NRMP ID number at any time in ERAS, including after you actually apply to programs. And it's not necessary, ranking can be done by AAMc number or name also.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my friend submitted her application on 9/15, and then updated her NRMP ID on ERAS on 9/16 and now it shows the application is made available to programs on 9/16 instead of 9/15. Would that put her at a disadvantage now that ERAS shows her application is available to programs at a later date? since most programs are rolling

One of my friend submitted her application on 9/15, and then updated her NRMP ID on ERAS on 9/16 and now it shows the application is made available to programs on 9/16 instead of 9/15. Would that put her at a disadvantage now that ERAS shows her application is available to programs at a later date? since most programs are rolling

No, the original timestamp will show. She'll be fine.