Is it normal for all graduate level classes to be at night?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterOf.Science.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked at two counseling programs and both of them only offer classes in the evening.
It's something I'll have to get around, but I've been wondering, is this the norm?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Some master's programs are oriented toward working professionals and have evening/weekend/online courses, but most are day programs.

Reactions: 1 user
My MA MFT had any of our classes that overlapped with the university's school counseling program at night because their presumption was that many people re-specialize as school counselors while still teaching, coaching, etc. Any classes just taken by MFTs or LMHCs/LPCs were in the morning/afternoon which led to 10am-9pm days a couple of semesters which was awful. I don't know if this is common though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello CyouRAnyway!

It depends on the school and type of degree. I've noticed that full-time programs typically have all day classes, and graduate level degrees are offered in the evening for those that work.

generally, the brain is not working the same at night as it does in the morning. this is quite enough for you to make a decision IMO

It can be different from one university to another. The program that I`ve attended for my Master`s was for the most part in the evening and night at a private and elite school in the country. I did have some morning classes. In my Ph.D. it was all day classes from morning until late evening. Colleges tend to schedule classes at evening though.