Is it normal for an intern to forget some of the basic stuff from med school?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atethesun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Jesus. Was asked by my attending about cholinergic and anticholinergic stuff.
I knew this stuff cold back in 2nd and 3rd year but I just blinked today.
It was embarrassing.

Members don't see this ad.

ICU intern got pimped HARD on coronary artery anatomy today. It was brutal to watch :scared:

I don't know. I just felt embarrassed. I used to be the one answering all the questions (even won a handful of awards from different departments)
Now I feel like I'm back to ground zero.

one good thing about night float........no public pimp shamings. at least until morning rounds but by then you've stopped caring.

Jesus. Was asked by my attending about cholinergic and anticholinergic stuff.
I knew this stuff cold back in 2nd and 3rd year but I just blinked today.
It was embarrassing.

One of the fun things about being an attending is that you can pick some esoteric detail and ask pimp questions about it and look very smart. Nobody on your team can do anything about it. Its great.

Try this for revenge. Find some vague little detail about kidney function or endocrine something and act like you just cannot understand it. Ask your attending to pretty please expound and help you to become a better doctor by explaining it all to the entire team right there on rounds. See how he/she likes pimping in reverse.

Try this for revenge. Find some vague little detail about kidney function or endocrine something and act like you just cannot understand it. Ask your attending to pretty please expound and help you to become a better doctor by explaining it all to the entire team right there on rounds. See how he/she likes pimping in reverse.

I'm going to have to do this, just hope it doesn't backfire in my face

:cool: I'm going to predict a backfire...either way the story will be awesome so please share if you go through with it

One of the fun things about being an attending is that you can pick some esoteric detail and ask pimp questions about it and look very smart. Nobody on your team can do anything about it. Its great.

I highly recommend reading The Art of Pimping for details on the bluff and the dodge.

http://www.cchil.org/hospitalmedicine/images/resources/033109-071000pm-pimping.pdf

Further reading here: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=183639

The other day, I watched an intern forget which valve is between the LV and the aorta. So yeah, you aren't the only one who forgets some basic stuff.

Didn't the word "aorta" give it away?

Yeah, it was pretty painful to watch, especially since 1) it was the assistant PD doing the pimping, and 2) he started emphasizing the word "aorta" when the guy didn't get it right off.

I don't even understand why an attending would ask that question... I'm guessing that kid won't be matching to cardiology - yikes.

It really depends on the attending. I've had this end poorly and in a laugh good luck.

I find the intentional pimp you where the textbook as just been recently superceeded by a new study that the attending likes pimp the most annoying but sadly informative.

Last edited:
I don't even understand why an attending would ask that question... I'm guessing that kid won't be matching to cardiology - yikes.

To be fair, some people just don't do well under pressure. Some of us thrive in these situations and love the stress...others just aren't used to having all the attention/focus placed on them in a public setting.