Is it ok to ask this during interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlossFloss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
when they say ask if I have any questions, is it ok to ask about how much financial aid can usually be offered? (couldn't find any resources about it online except that they have it).

Members don't see this ad.

For all the interviews I've been to, they had someone from Financial Aid speak to us. If you don't see it in the agenda, you can ask the interviewers but they probably wouldn't know much about it since they're typically faculty/staff that teach at the school.

Reactions: 1 user
when they say ask if I have any questions, is it ok to ask about how much financial aid can usually be offered? (couldn't find any resources about it online except that they have it).
Some faculty don't know the process and would only advice to speak to someone in financial aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys. Would it have an actual negative impact to ask that question? Such as giving a bad impression to the interviewer?

I don't think it would give a negative impression to ask about financial aid but it is best to ask this during the financial aid presentation. I'm pretty sure every school has someone from financial aid talk to all the students interviewing. You should receive enough to live on so I would not worry too much about it. I do remember them saying that regardless if you are single or have a big family each student receives around the same amount I think.

I wouldn't ask this question at all. Once you get accepted, then you can ask and figure it out. Because if it's the only school that accepts you, then you will more than likely attend no matter what the cost is.

But like others have said, they always talk about financial aid on interview day.

That's more of a question for the Financial Aid presenter but the answer is that you can borrow up to the full cost of attendance through Direct/Direct PLUS loans.

I wouldn't ask this question at all. Once you get accepted, then you can ask and figure it out. Because if it's the only school that accepts you, then you will more than likely attend no matter what the cost is.

But like others have said, they always talk about financial aid on interview day.
Two schools that I attended for interview did not have a financial aid presentation. The day only consisted of lunch and tour then interview.

For all the interviews I've been to, they had someone from Financial Aid speak to us. If you don't see it in the agenda, you can ask the interviewers but they probably wouldn't know much about it since they're typically faculty/staff that teach at the school.
Agreed. Although there was no financial aid presentation at NYU when I interviewed there. Kind of odd considering that they are one of the more pricier schools.

Agreed. Although there was no financial aid presentation at NYU when I interviewed there. Kind of odd considering that they are one of the more pricier schools.

That's the exact reason they don't have one. Why highlight the absolute worst thing about your school?

I also went to the NYU interview and basically told us we won't be getting any aid except a select few who get like 2000 but it's "better than nothing" haha. I was just wondering because this state school (Rutgers) should be less expensive, but it's still actually damn pricey still (280k for 4 years). And I was thinking of moving addresses if by fat chance I got in lol.