Is it okay to do all my science pre-reqs at a community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I posted a similar thread last week asking if would be alright to take non-science prereqs like english at a community college, but what about the science classes? I'm not trying to get into Harvard MD or anything, but would more than a handful of MD schools look down on this?

I'm a postbac student who's a bit tight on money, and CC is my cheapest option. Problem is, I have a poor undergrad record from my first 2 years of college (string of D's that already pulls my science gpa down to a 3.2-3.3 at best, even assuming a successful postbac).

So because of my poor past grades/science GPA, should I just suck it up, pay a bit more and take the science classes at a 4 year university?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard, you have to show the Medical schools that you can succeed at the university level. Transfer students do this by taking pre-reqs at CC's, and then majoring in a science at a 4 year (and doing well in those classes). Also, if you rock the MCAT, then you should have no problem

I did almost all my pre reqs at a cc cause like you I was doing a post bacc and was on a budget. I did 2 upper division science classes at a university. I've been accepted to multiple med schools, including a top 20 school.

That being said, if you do it at a cc, you pretty much have to get straight As and smoke the mcat. You'll have slightly more leeway if you take all the pre reqs at a university.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be OK. Med schools realize that non-trad students have a life. But best bet is to invest in MSAR and see which schools accept and which don't.

Hi All,

So I posted a similar thread last week asking if would be alright to take non-science prereqs like english at a community college, but what about the science classes? I'm not trying to get into Harvard MD or anything, but would more than a handful of MD schools look down on this?

I'm a postbac student who's a bit tight on money, and CC is my cheapest option. Problem is, I have a poor undergrad record from my first 2 years of college (string of D's that already pulls my science gpa down to a 3.2-3.3 at best, even assuming a successful postbac).

So because of my poor past grades/science GPA, should I just suck it up, pay a bit more and take the science classes at a 4 year university?

Thanks!!

Reactions: 1 user
That being said, if you do it at a cc, you pretty much have to get straight As and smoke the mcat. You'll have slightly more leeway if you take all the pre reqs at a university.
You don't have to get straight A's at the CC to have a chance, friend of mine did all his pre-reqs at CC (mostly B's), but kicked butt when he transferred to his 4 year and applied with a 3.6 GPA and 38 MCAT. (His CC was extremely grade deflated and challenging) He's sitting on 3 acceptances and 2 interviews coming up.

If you're GPA is good overall, the adcoms will care more about your performance at the 4 year than at the CC.

I think some of you guys are missing something...I already finished a 4 year degree in economics, so I'm just doing a DIY postbac in my hometown. Hence why I was worried about the CC not looking as good, especially considering my poor first 2 years of undergrad.

You don't have to get straight A's at the CC to have a chance, friend of mine did all his pre-reqs at CC (mostly B's), but kicked butt when he transferred to his 4 year and applied with a 3.6 GPA and 38 MCAT. (His CC was extremely grade deflated and challenging) He's sitting on 3 acceptances and 2 interviews coming up.

If you're GPA is good overall, the adcoms will care more about your performance at the 4 year than at the CC.
You might want to read the OP. We are not talking about someone who will be applying with a 3.6GPA, we are talking about someone who will be applying with a 3.3-3.4 sGPA IF they get all As on their science post bac. Also, a 38 MCAT is hardly a likely score for any particular applicant to attain.

You missed that this was in a post bacc, which is very different than doing CC before transferring to a university. If you have a subpar GPA in undergrad it is imperative that you get essentially straight As in your post bac, especially at a CC

I think some of you guys are missing something...I already finished a 4 year degree in economics, so I'm just doing a DIY postbac in my hometown. Hence why I was worried about the CC not looking as good, especially considering my poor first 2 years of undergrad.

Read my post again... I have a very similar background to you. Feel free to pm me with any questions!