Is it okay to have a LOR from a DO for MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MustyElbow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically the question says it all. I've been shadowing an ER doctor who happens to be a DO for 2 years now. I am close enough with him to have him write me a solid recommendation letter. Would that letter be looked at any differently when sent to MD schools or does it not matter?

Members don't see this ad.

It won't be looked at any differently however most US MD schools view all shadowing letters as fluff (unless you have some experiences with that Doctor that goes beyond the typical shadowing experience)

Reactions: 1 users
It won't be looked at any differently however most US MD schools view all shadowing letters as fluff (unless you have some experiences with that Doctor that goes beyond the typical shadowing experience)

Which would be what exactly?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a LOR from a DO I shadowed and will not be submitting it to AMCAS. Seems pointless in my opinion.

OP, might as well save that letter for AACOMAS if you plan to apply to DO programs. There, it would actually carry weight.

Reactions: 1 user
Which would be what exactly?
Working for them, helping with any research they performed, being involved with them in some form of volunteering. For them to give you a meaningful LOR for MD schools they need to be able to say, they showed up on time, didn't bother patients, and dressed appropriately.

Note I'm NOT saying to ask doctors you are shadowing about doing any of this, you are already imposing on them by shadowing.

The title of the doctor will have no influence at all... if that is what you are asking.