Is it okay to take the MCAT on June 5th (tentative release on July 8)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeroufies

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to submit everything on the first day of the application. I hear that the order of applications does not matter when it comes to giving early interviews (like AMCAS releasing your application to medical schools on 06/30 and 07/05 for interviews in August won't make a difference? Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Take the MCAT when you're ready and consistently scoring at a level you want. Do not prematurely take it because then you're stuck with a low MCAT score scrambling to retake it with minimal test dates left in the year. Good luck!

Same question here. Will be taking my first full length this week. Hopefully I can submit my primary first day of June if my pactice test scores are consistent and good. (june 13th date)

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to submit everything on the first day of the application. I hear that the order of applications does not matter when it comes to giving early interviews (like AMCAS releasing your application to medical schools on 06/30 and 07/05 for interviews in August won't make a difference? Thanks !

BrawnsNBrains already touched on it, so unequivocally, the answer is yes -- having a quality application and applying early are key.

The MCAT and LOR can technically roll in after you turn in your primary. And, when you submit your AMCAS, it's not actually released to the school until a date closer to the end of June/very early July. The MCAT will automatically be uploaded into your AMCAS. Just compile your school list off of your realistic estimation based off your latest testing average.

Most schools send secondaries to everyone, unless they specifically tell you they screen applicants. So, you'll likely be around in same window as everyone else as long as you apply early and everything else is good.

Good luck!

Hey there.

Last summer I took my MCAT on June 20th and had the score release sometime around July 25th (38 which I could not have gotten any other way than with the extra month of studying) . I applied to 18 schools, had 7 interviews and am accepted at 4 (UVa, Ohio State, VCU, EVMS) and waitlisted at another 3 (Duke, Northwestern, Case). My GPA was 3.83. It is definitely possible to take a late MCAT and have a successful cycle.

I think a summer MCAT is absolutely possible but to echo others in this thread you need to take the MCAT when you are READY. This is incredibly important and I cannot stress it enough. At this point you have already swallowed the bullet (correctly so, I might add) in that you have resisted peer pressure from your friends to take the MCAT during April or May.

I have seen so many people screw over their entire application with a subpar MCAT score since they attempted to balance a full schedule with MCAT studying at the same time. Some can do it, the vast majority (myself included), cannot.

Good luck and PM me if you want further information.