Is it over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeghanMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm doing my post-bacc pre-reqs. I got my undergraduate degree in business.

Anyway, I got my physics I grade back and am extremely disappointed. I happen to have the only professor who doesn't curve and got a C in the class. I So far I know I have an A in physics lab, a B+ in chem lab, and anticipate an A in gen chem I. Maybe I sound melodramatic but I mean this, is it over? I want to go to medical school more than anything. Can I come back from this C?

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to need to ace everything else from now on. No Bs. And ace MCAT.

Hi guys,

Anyway, I got my physics I grade back and am extremely disappointed. I happen to have the only professor who doesn't curve and got a C in the class. I So far I know I have an A in physics lab, a B+ in chem lab, and anticipate an A in gen chem I. Maybe I sound melodramatic but I mean this, is it over? I want to go to medical school more than anything. Can I come back from this C?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,

You can't get a C and get into medical school. Its over move on.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to need to ace everything else from now on. No Bs. And ace MCAT.

Haha, really? I know of many students who've gotten C's and C+'s even in both sections of physics, or organic, or chemistry and gone on to get multiple MD acceptances.

Basically, OP, one C will not tank you. While I ado agree with Goro that you should attempt to ace everything, don't panic of you get an A- or B+ here or there. As long as your sGPA is above a 3.6 I think you're in a good place.

DoctorSynthesis You Know that's not true why are you being an @$$

Reactions: 2 users

No that person is correct. No hope for op. We are realists and romantics.

To op: I suggest going into farming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No that person is correct. No hope for op. We are realists and romantics.

To op: I suggest going into farming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah OP go for a farming degree, they are called "DO" and are just as respected as real doctors. They take C people all the time

/s

Post-bac is different. This is more like an audition for medical school and you're expected to do well in them.

Haha, really? I know of many students who've gotten C's and C+'s even in both sections of physics, or organic, or chemistry and gone on to get multiple MD acceptances.

Basically, OP, one C will not tank you. While I ado agree with Goro that you should attempt to ace everything, don't panic of you get an A- or B+ here or there. As long as your sGPA is above a 3.6 I think you're in a good place.

Reactions: 3 users
It would be a bit of a detour, but you can always go for your masters and then reapply.

You can't get a C and get into medical school. Its over move on.

What? Lol. My numerous C's and four interview invites so far would disagree with you. Of course my school/major was much more difficult than the average applicant. Some places practice more grade inflation than others.

On the topic, I generally agree with Goro's statements above.

PS - You need to know physics for the MCAT anyway, so you might as well learn it right the first time. No sense in having to put in all of that work to thoroughly learn physics after you've already received a poor grade for physics. I just mention that for your future classes.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

You should use rate my professor before you register! Research and Google

45 the old or 60 the new mcat!

Well wow

Its out of 528

mcat2015scorescale690-data.jpg

What? Lol. My numerous C's and four interview invites so far would disagree with you. Of course my school/major was much more difficult than the average applicant. Some places practice more grade inflation than others.

PS - You need to know physics for the MCAT anyway... so you might as well learn it right while you're taking the class, and benefit from the A.

Well, you haven't gotten into med school have you?

PS - You need to know physics for the MCAT anyway, so you might as well learn it right the first time. Otherwise you'll just have to learn it anyway, but without the benefit of the 'A' on your record.

Wild guess that you are an engineering student

PS - You need to know physics for the MCAT anyway, so you might as well learn it right the first time. No sense in having to put in all of that work to thoroughly learn physics after you've already received a poor grade for physics. I just mention that for your future classes.

Hey I thought this was pre allo :laugh:

Post-bac is different. This is more like an audition for medical school and you're expected to do well in them.
An SMP is an audition for med school. For a non-trad who belatedly decided on medicine, a post-bacc is just doing the prereqs like any other undergrad. As is the case for traditional students, what matters is the final sGPA. I've never seen anyone tell non-trad postbacc students that they need to achieve higher sGPAs than their traditional peers to reach the same level of success in med school applications.

I know that fairness is not the goal of the admission process but I think a post-bac done as a grade repair is not the same as a post-bac done because someone never took science classes during their undergraduate degree. It makes me a bit sad and worried if this is not recognized by adcoms.

Sure, postbac grades are more recent so you can't blame immaturity etc. on a few lower grades but there is always some adjustment period to studying science, no matter if you do it as a 20 y/o in undergrad or 25 or older as a post-bac student.