Is it pointless to apply this late in the cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoyalWulff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide whether to apply this year or next. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.7, MCAT 514, good clinical experiences, and have worked in an allied health field the last 10 years.

The MD schools I am interested in have AMCAS deadlines in November, however common sense seems to indicate that a persons chance to get in would be better applying much earlier.

What would you do? I will turn 40 years old during the next application cycle and am concerned that if I delay my application I will be more likely to experience age discrimination.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You look like you have a strong app; I wouldn't jeopardize that by applying late. Also, numeric age isn't listed...birth date, yes, but how many are actually going to do the math for the exact number? If it were me, I'd wait until next cycle. Don't want to risk losing out on a top choice!

This doesn't happen: "oh gosh look how old this candidate is getting, almost 40, let's expedite that app!"

This doesn't happen: "oh gosh a 39 year old - I was SO MUCH YOUNGER at 39 than when I was 40"

And this doesn't happen: "oh gosh look how old this candidate is, 40 is just too old, let's put this app out of its misery"

Every med school has had older students, even USUHS. Even the BS/MD schools. Even the Ivys.

I maintain that claiming age discrimination because you don't get what you want, 100% of the time, boils down to denial of one or both of the following 2 things:
1. there's a major gaping hole in the app and/or huge flapping red flag, same things that keep the kiddoes out: bad numbers, bad letters, bad presentation, applying late, applying narrowly, not researching requirements
2. it's incredibly hard to get into med school for everybody. visit the reapp subforum to see the anguish of the 3.8/520 rejectee. visit the school-specific app threads to see the anguish of the instate hyperqualified-and-denied.

100% of the time. It's EMBARRASSING every time somebody comes onto nontrad wailing about age discrimination and then it comes out that they have a 3.2 and only applied top tier. Older applicants who are so entitled and un-self-aware are the worst.

Also, you won't beat the deadlines anyway. You have to order transcripts, wait for AMCAS review, get letters. That doesn't get done in a month.

All that said, getting in is not at all the hardest part. Map out the rest. How old will you be when you apply for residency? What will your retirement savings be doing all this time? How much debt will you take on and how will those payments change your story in practice? What are your options for dealing with student debt and career interruption if you quit, get dismissed, or have a health problem?

Best of luck to you for next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not to late for DO, but I can't recommend applying now for MD. Wise colleague @gonnif, what say you?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide whether to apply this year or next. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.7, MCAT 514, good clinical experiences, and have worked in an allied health field the last 10 years.

The MD schools I am interested in have AMCAS deadlines in November, however common sense seems to indicate that a persons chance to get in would be better applying much earlier.

What would you do? I will turn 40 years old during the next application cycle and am concerned that if I delay my application I will be more likely to experience age discrimination.

Thanks

Some of my all time best students have been in their 40s. I graduated one last year at 50.

Hello everyone,

Thanks

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies and advice! I will plan on applying early in the cycle next year.

Reactions: 1 user