Is it possible to get a good residency if you go to a bad medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dong Wang

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
like drexel, nymc, rfu, etc...

I really want to do ortho but I'm afraid I won't be able to if I end up going to a non-prestigious med school

I'm about to submit amcas and I'm wondering if I should leave these schools off and just apply to highly ranked schools

thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

What U.S. medical school you goto (IMHO) will mean little to most residencies. What will matter is how well YOU (and not the average at that particular school) do on the USMLE Step 1, what your LOR writers say about you, how well you interview, and your medical school grades.

When selecting a medical school, you should be more concerned about...

• Cost
  • Family/Significant Other Concerns
  • Whether you will be happy there (i.e. can you stand being there so you can study/focus)?

what is a "bad" school? you might get flamed for this. any US med school is a "good" school. although school rep might place some role in residencies, it's like #8 in terms of importance. if you're planning on heading inot competitive programs, like ortho, kick butt in the school you're attending, get to know some of the folks there, and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

I really want to do ortho but I'm afraid I won't be able to if I end up going to a non-prestigious med school

I'm about to submit amcas and I'm wondering if I should leave these schools off and just apply to highly ranked schools

thoughts??

Those aren't 'bad' schools by any means.

thoughts??

You'll be ok. Just don't go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College. They lost their LCME accreditation when the committee realized they really were based out of an upstairs apartment in Hollywood.

Definitely impossible, Dong. Your intention is only as good as the adjective that you use, whatever it might be, regardless, of course, I'd bet all my acceptances on it, I swear.

hmm... well, maybe compared to DO schools they're not 'bad'

Oh come on. Are you trying to start a flame war here, or are you just hopelessly ignorant?

And if you end up going to a "non-presitigious school," deep-down, whose fault is it? If you were an absolutely stellar applicant I doubt you would be voicing these concerns.

(and fwiw, I'm not that stellar applicant. but I also want to go to med school so desperately that I'm not going to begrudge any md school)

thoughts??

maybe you should check out the matchlists for these schools before making snap judgments about what a "bad" med school is.

but by all means go ahead and apply to only top tier schools. I'm sure you'll get in.

Maybe you should make a new account called Dr. Douche Bag, because you certainly are one. There are no "bad," US medical schools, idiot.

hmmm

troll.jpg

LOL.

Check the match lists fool.

Did you know that even if you become a DO you can match into competitive residencies like opthal and ortho? My ortho is a DO and he fixed up my bum knee real well. Check out the front page of this website, they had a DO opthal for the 20 question interview. They went to less prestigious schools, or in your words not so good schools yet they matched in top residencies. You have to work hard no matter where you go.

Those aren't 'bad' schools by any means.

There are only 125 US allo med schools and half of all applicants to them won't get into any. It is not like college where there is a huge range of quality -- in fact the average matriculant stats of these schools are all pretty solid. Schools are seeing as many as 10,000 applications for 150 spots. Thus there really aren't any "bad" US allo med schools, and all are quite competitive. You will see representatives of a wide range of med schools in every residency/specialty. All of the schools OP mentioned would serve as adequate launch pads for great residencies. Getting a residency is very much an individual effort, and how you do on things like Step 1, rotation evaluations, research etc will make or break you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard or bust, sucka!

LOL.

Check the match lists fool.

Did you know that even if you become a DO you can match into competitive residencies like opthal and ortho? My ortho is a DO and he fixed up my bum knee real well. Check out the front page of this website, they had a DO opthal for the 20 question interview. They went to less prestigious schools, or in your words not so good schools yet they matched in top residencies. You have to work hard no matter where you go.

so if these 'bad' schools have such impressive match lists, why do they have such a bad rep and why do pre-allo's and allo's always bash 'em... must be a reason for it; you kno wat im sayin?

so if these 'bad' schools have such impressive match lists, why do they have such a bad rep and why do pre-allo's and allo's always bash 'em... must be a reason for it; you kno wat im sayin?

I am just trying to point out that no matter what school you go to, its your effort to score your best on the Step 1 and having everything else that follows for a good residency. If you go to even a "BAD" school as you say, you can still get an ortho residency.

Most Allo's don't bash them...only idiot pre-meds like you do :rolleyes:

I'd be more concerned with securing a residency with the name Dong.

Us news report rankings are such bull****. Do you even know how they rate them?--Look it up. No one will give a **** where you went to medical school when you are a physician. They will only care about how good you are at what you do.

Most Allo's don't bash them...only idiot pre-meds like you do :rolleyes:

based on this, you:

1) don't know how to use the rolleyes smiley face, or

2) you don't know the definition of sarcastic, or

3) you actually agree with me that most allo's do bash the schools i listed

Us news report rankings are such bull****. Do you even know how they rate them?--Look it up. No one will give a **** where you went to medical school when you are a physician. They will only care about how good you are at what you do.

only people who go to $hitty med schools say that

:cool::p:p:p ------------>:p

I believe you mean Mr. Dong Wang? With your piss-poor attitude you won't be going anywhere to become Dr. Dong Wang. Do some research first and then come back and ask for clarifications.

based on this, you:

1) don't know how to use the rolleyes smiley face, or

2) you don't know the definition of sarcastic, or

3) you actually agree with me that most allo's do bash the schools i listed

Based on this, you obviously do not have the intellectual ability to become a physician.

1) Okay Mr. 7 posts
2) You were being sarcastic eh? RIIIGHT
3) How the heck you got to this conclusion, I dont know

Good luck in your pursuit for Harvard.

You'll be ok. Just don't go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College. They lost their LCME accreditation when the committee realized they really were based out of an upstairs apartment in Hollywood.

You serious? Damn, that was my first choice, too. :(

It's a simple question of working your butt off and being middle of the road at a "top" medical school, or working your butt of at another medical school and shining (ie - amazing LOR and experiences)...which one will give you the better chance?

Based on this, you obviously do not have the intellectual ability to become a physician.

1) Okay Mr. 7 posts
2) You were being sarcastic eh? RIIIGHT
3) How the heck you got to this conclusion, I dont know

Good luck in your pursuit for Harvard.

Well this made a lot of sense :rolleyes:

(note the correct usage of the rolleyes smiley face)

thoughts??

Just apply to the highly ranked schools. Your thought process is actually exactly right.

I dont even want to get started.:mad:

Only a real loser would ever go to RFUMS! :rolleyes:

Edit: Check signature, note sarcasm.

Yeah, as long as you just apply to Harvard, UCSF, Johns Hopkins, Stanford, Columbia, Penn, and Wash U, you will be fine and get a great residency. Oh, and if you get multiple acceptances to these schools, just post again, and we will help you figure out which school to choose. Good luck with this...you seem really bright and well intentioned, someone who will be an asset to the medical profession.

[public service anouncement]
warning to people replying to this thread- sarcasm does not always come across on the internet so if you are planning to use it and do not want to get flamed by numerous posters who would agree with you if they lnew you were being sarcastic you may want to specify that you are being sarcastic.
[/public service anouncement]

And might I just say that is actually one of the cutest troll pictures I have ever seen? It has a biking t-shirt and little helmet!

Well, here is my thought process - I'm sure those "bad" medical schools also have "bad" residency programs associated with them. So you can definitely do your residency at one of those programs, because people who went to "good" schools definitely wouldn't bother applying to them. Then you can go out and get a "bad" job after your "bad" residency. But, of course, you'll always be a "bad" doctor... maybe you can get some "bad" patients to come see you.

[public service anouncement]
warning to people replying to this thread- sarcasm does not allows come across on the internet so if you are planning to use and do not want to get flamed by numerous posters who would agree with you if they lnew you were being sarcastic you may want to specify that you are being sarcastic.
[/public service anouncement]

And might I just say that is actually one of the cutest troll pictures I have ever seen? It has a biking t-shirt and little helmet!

I'm not being sarcastic. I really do think the OP should only apply to really competative schools, but that's just my opinion.

OP you are an idiot. There are no bad allopathic schools. You are trying to stir the pot. We should ignore this fool.

thoughts??

Those aren't bad med schools! Like many have said: "There's no such thing." The biggest things that will affect your choice of residency are your grades and Step 1 scores.

I suggest you check each schools residency match to find out how many students match into ortho.

Yes, apply to the top schools only. It'll be one less application that the other "bad" schools go through and increases the chances, even if a little bit, for others who would go anywhere and do anything to become doctors to get into those schools that you don't care for. And, what a shocker it will be when they will land a residency program just as good as yours.

Yes, apply to the top schools only. It'll be one less application that the other "bad" schools go through and increases the chances, even if a little bit, for others who would go anywhere and do anything to become doctors to get into those schools that you don't care for. And, what a shocker it will be when they will land a residency program just as good as yours.

the OP won't be anywhere close to getting into any med schools if the intelligence of his posts are any indication

the OP won't be anywhere close to getting into any med schools if the intelligence of his posts are any indication

HE IS CLEARLY A TROLL. LETS IGNORE HIM. READY? GO!

Without being sarcastic I'm going to say this:

you need to educate yourself better. NYMC and Drexel are 2 examples of GOOD schools. Good as in you'll get a great education, the schools have good faculty, lots of research oppotunities, strong matching list, nice facilities. Not sure what you're basing your opinion on, but it's wrong.

Don't be a dork and do some more reading on Allopathic schools

He got banned already? hahaha. It is funny how that white boy tried using an asian screen name to embarass us or something

Wow, I read this thread just this morning and the guy is banned already? Very efficient system we've got here.

He got banned already? hahaha. It is funny how that white boy tried using an asian screen name to embarass us or something

He was white?