Is it possible to shadow a psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've spoken with my local private practice psychiatrist about shadowing him and he basically said this: "I wouldn't mind at all...but my patients might." Basically, a yes, but it's not gonna happen because of how confidential private practice psychiatrics can be. Psychiatry is one of the specialties I'm VERY interested in, but it hasn't been as easy as shadowing my local internist, urologist or pediatrician. I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall here with psychiatry. Is there any way to maybe shadow a psychiatrist who works at the local medical center/hospital? If any of you have shadowing experience with psychiatrists before, how did you go about doing it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've shadowed a child psychiatrist previously and have been able to get some of my peers in to shadow her as well. Its just like any other shadowing where you sit in and observe the interaction, but its true that HIPAA is much more prevalent in that context due to how stigmatized mental illness can be. When I shadowing, the psychiatrist always asked the patient beforehand if they'd be comfortable with a student sitting in on their appointment. Most of the time they were okay with it but there were a few instances where I was left out because the patient wasn't comfortable. I did have the opportunity to shadow a psychiatrist at my university's hospital but because of class conflicts I was unable to attend.

Just ask around. But think about it, would you want to be giving up your deepest darkest secrets with some random person in the room?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just ask around. But think about it, would you want to be giving up your deepest darkest secrets with some random person in the room?

I, personally, would be all right with a student in the room. I'm very liberal when it comes to stuff like this; however, I could see where people would feel very uncomfortable with a student in the room.

I've shadowed a child psychiatrist previously and have been able to get some of my peers in to shadow her as well. Its just like any other shadowing where you sit in and observe the interaction, but its true that HIPAA is much more prevalent in that context due to how stigmatized mental illness can be. When I shadowing, the psychiatrist always asked the patient beforehand if they'd be comfortable with a student sitting in on their appointment. Most of the time they were okay with it but there were a few instances where I was left out because the patient wasn't comfortable. I did have the opportunity to shadow a psychiatrist at my university's hospital but because of class conflicts I was unable to attend.

When you were shadowing and sitting in on appointments, was this in a private practice setting?

I've spoken with my local private practice psychiatrist about shadowing him and he basically said this: "I wouldn't mind at all...but my patients might." Basically, a yes, but it's not gonna happen because of how confidential private practice psychiatrics can be. Psychiatry is one of the specialties I'm VERY interested in, but it hasn't been as easy as shadowing my local internist, urologist or pediatrician. I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall here with psychiatry. Is there any way to maybe shadow a psychiatrist who works at the local medical center/hospital? If any of you have shadowing experience with psychiatrists before, how did you go about doing it?
Ask about group counseling sessions and psychiatrist-led support groups, where your presence is more likely to be tolerated.

Reactions: 4 users
Ask about group counseling sessions and psychiatrist-led support groups, where your presence is more likely to be tolerated.

How would I find these?

Ask the psychiatrist you know. He may be aware of ongoing such activities at an inpatient setting and could give you a contact. Alternatively, get your active clinical experience in a psych unit (hospital or VA), get to know folks, and the rest will follow.

Reactions: 1 users
How would I find these?

You could look for a job as a psych tech, BHT, psych CNA, or whatever other may call it. I did this for over 2 years on a child/adolescent unit and a PICU. I was also able to line up shadowing through it beings I was an employee and was able to build a relationship with the Drs. I worked with frequently. Also, while shadowing in other settings (ER, primary care Dr.) I wasn't allowed to follow on any psych cases.

Reactions: 2 users
If he said its not going to happen in private practice, try to look in community settings. I shadowed a psychiatrist who volunteered her time at a clinic for the homeless. It was extremely interesting and I never once had a patient say no when the doc asked if I could sit in on the psych eval.

When you were shadowing and sitting in on appointments, was this in a private practice setting?
It was private practice. I think the fact that it was child psychiatry made it easier for me to shadow because it was mostly the parents calling the shots as to whether or not to let me in on seeing their ADD child get their meds. Comparatively, the teens seemed much less comfortable with an extra set of eyes in the room.

I was able to shadow a psychiatrist at a large academic child psychiatry practice. They had rooms set up for residents/fellows to observe first time evaluations fitted with a one-way mirror. Only certain undergrads who took certain courses at my school were able to sit in on these, but you might want to ask around at your nearest large academic hospital because they might have this set up for their residents/fellows as well.

You'll likely have great difficulty seeing therapy if you have any interest in that because of the inherently personal nature of it. For things like medication management visits and routine follow-up, though, I imagine you shouldn't have any difficulty. It'll depend on the attending and the patient's preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel your pain... I really wanted to shadow cosmetic plastic surgery but found out pretty quickly that wasn't going to happen haha.

I'll ask around and see what I can come up with. It's too bad that surgeons and psychiatrists are so difficult to shadow, because those are where my interests fall.

Is it the same story for when you want to shadow a surgeon (any kind)?

Is it the same story for when you want to shadow a surgeon (any kind)?

I was fortunate enough to shadow a surgeon at a hospital that's renowned for low infection rates and I just needed to demonstrate that my immunization and PPD was up to date. I guess this varies from hospital to hospital, but I was in an academic setting in which the surgeons often have visitors (other than residents and fellows) to observe.

I don't think your everyday surgical patient will mind because they are under anesthesia. So it seems that asking the surgeon should suffice. But I guess, if Arnold Schwarzenegger needed a heart valve fixed, you'd have a difficult time observing that procedure.

I'll ask around and see what I can come up with. It's too bad that surgeons and psychiatrists are so difficult to shadow, because those are where my interests fall.

I can see why shadowing a psychiatrist would be difficult, but I'm pretty sure you can find a surgeon to shadow. As I mentioned before, those in academic settings should be more welcoming of students. Also, it may help to volunteer in a surgical setting. For example, some hospitals offer opportunities in wards for patients that just underwent surgery. Or if there's an orthopedic hospital nearby, you can inquire there. If you're luckily enough to shadow an ortho surgeon you can see quite a few procedures in a day (unless it's spine).

And in terms of psych, I'm not a med student yet, but I'm pretty sure that it is a required clerkship so you'll have enough opportunities to explore it in med school.

Thanks, @Cyberdyne 101. I'll explore what opportunities there are at my local medical center and inquire there. Much appreciated!

Thanks, @Cyberdyne 101. I'll explore what opportunities there are at my local medical center and inquire there. Much appreciated!

One more thing. I got my shadowing opportunity at an insanely prestigious ortho hospital (I couldn't believe it) because I asked one of the surgeons questions about stuff he published (and I was genuinely interested in the material). That "pathway" worked out well for me. Obviously, ppl have come across such opportunities through different means, but regardless, reading a few papers can only benefit you. You might stumble upon something that you'll want to pursue in the future.

Hippa

As someone who has often shared the company of a psychiatrist very often, either the psychiatrist would have to really really really like you and/or be in a less one-on-one setting and even then you would expect to be kicked out of the office a lot. There are a lot of things that are shared that nobody would feel comfortable having an undergrad student just sit there and watch, even with HIPAA that isn't much of a security blanket. I almost asked my psychiatrist once, but I just know I wouldn't want to go down that path.

There's times I feel uncomfortable opening up to my psychiatrist about things I deal with because it can be daunting and intimidating, imagine what it would be like with a third wheel in there. Even with the third wheel just kicked out it'd be very hard for some patients not to be shaken by that. A lot of patients have to fight to have their issues not exposed everywhere and need the privacy because with that exposure comes all sort of discrimination and stigma.

A classmate of mine shadowed an emergency room psychiatrist. It is possible.

I shadowed a psychiatrist in a clinic. However he is a family friend. I'm guessing without connections it's probably difficult

The only connection I have is my local psychiatrist. He and I are pretty good friends, but his patients undoubtedly won't let me into the room. I'm going to speak with him about alternatives.

This happens in medical school. In psychiary rotation, the psychiatrist had 4 medical students in the room w/ him. Of course he had to ask the pt if it's OK each time. The difference between medical students and college pre-med student is not very different to the patient.

Have you tried volunteering at mental hospitals? Sometimes you get to talk to pyschiatrists there and they can at least give you a lead on who you can contact.

I agree with what Nick posted above.....showing a psychiatrist in a medication management clinic would be more likely. You still get to see a side of psychiatry.

Forensic psychiatry is a thing. However, it's cheaper to become a forensic neuropsychologist. You can do most of the same stuff, save prescribe, and still get to go to court. Forensic, FYI, usually means malpractice suits and not murder cases. You know. Kid gets clipped by a car and hits his head. Doc needs to determine if there's brain damage and if so, how much. Either MD or PhD/PsyD can do it.