Is it possible to transfer letters of recommendation to different amcas years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drkaytee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying to the class of 2017. I recently just started filling out my amcas and I found out that I was doing it for the class of 2016. The one for 2017 opens up May. Unfortunately, some of my professors have send in their letters of rec for me already. Is it possible to transfer the letters of rec from this amcas year to another year?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can't start doing the AMCAS for this coming cycle yet. It doesn't open until May 3rd.
I have read that AMCAS won't hold or transfer letters like that. If you are set on having all of your materials in ASAP, I suggest you explain to your writers what happened and get an Interfolio account to hold all of the letters until May. You can then have them sent to AMCAS once you open the application - this will keep them confidential but allow YOU to send them. If you don't want to pay the yearly fee for Interfolio, your writers will have to resend in May.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm planning on applying to the class of 2017. I recently just started filling out my amcas and I found out that I was doing it for the class of 2016. The one for 2017 opens up May. Unfortunately, some of my professors have send in their letters of rec for me already. Is it possible to transfer the letters of rec from this amcas year to another year?
Thanks!

I similarly did this last year but with my transcripts. I called AMCAS and they told me they couldn't transfer them and that I needed to resubmit them. Call them to verify.

Members don't see this ad :)
It costs some money, but Interfolio is your best bet to secure letters of rec and allows you to send them whenever you want to whoever you want. AMCAS doesn't transfer any of the content from one application period to another.

Not sure if I'm in the same boat. I'm a reapplicant and my letters are reflecting as "received for 2016 cycle." Not sure how this could be, given I generated my letter request forms roughly May 9th and my application actually says 2017 cycle?????

Not sure if I'm in the same boat. I'm a reapplicant and my letters are reflecting as "received for 2016 cycle." Not sure how this could be, given I generated my letter request forms roughly May 9th and my application actually says 2017 cycle?????
Maybe you generated the letter request forms from the previous cycle's portal? If I remember correctly, portals leading to both cycles were available when I initially logged on a few weeks ago.

Maybe you generated the letter request forms from the previous cycle's portal? If I remember correctly, portals leading to both cycles were available when I initially logged on a few weeks ago.
I thought so too, but when I pulled up the generated letter request pdf (saved it to my desktop that day), it said "2017 applications only" :(

Yeah I ended up having to ask my LOR writers for the letters again. Thanks everyone!