is it possible to work 40 hours per week, while taking orgo and physics with labs? and get an A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

areyounotentertaned

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone done this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
anything is possible

is it probable? no

will it happen? no

do i recommend it? yes

Reactions: 1 user
I would strongly advise against it. Are you a student or an employee? Both are full time jobs. You will have a very hard time succeeding in both.

has anyone done this?
Streampaw, it's totally possible if you put your mind to it.

And in response to your new username, yes! You entertain me very much. Go post in the "official explain your username thread" about how you came up with it! And make sure to explain "computercomputer123" also, that's my favorite of yours. I wanna know how you came up with it!

Reactions: 2 users

And in response to your new username, yes! You entertain me very much. Go post in the "official explain your username thread" about how you came up with it! And make sure to explain "computercomputer123" also, that's my favorite of yours. I wanna know how you came up with it!

Dude you are good at identifying her posts. I have been trying, but I totally missed this one.

i now must know who streampaw is...tell me about them trolls

Possible, but unlikely. You have to spend all free time studying those subjects.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who did it and at a tough school too, they got a 40 on their MCAT and a 3.9GPA. Extremely brilliant people can do stuff like this. In my humble opinion 90% of people who get into medical school and 98% of premeds can't. I wouldn't gamble unless you have a history of being #1 in your classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I know someone who did it and at a tough school too, they got a 40 on their MCAT and a 3.9GPA. Extremely brilliant people can do stuff like this. In my humble opinion 90% of people who get into medical school and 98% of premeds can't. I wouldn't gamble unless you have a history of being #1 in your classes.

Nah I'm not that smart or brilliant, 3.4-3.5 GPA (but 33 and 38 mcats) and I did it.

Last edited:
I don't recommend it. I was working in the laboratory 20-30 hours with Orgo I, Phys I, Bio II, Neuroscience elective, and Research Elective course, and the workload was a nightmare. I didn't sleep, and was as some friends described it, "a ghost that semester".

Spread things out as best you can.

Just wondering, how a full-time work along with full time-studying is scheduled?

Yeah, it's possible.
I currently work ~60 or 70hrs/wk and take 2 sciences/semester. Granted, I don't do labs due to the extra expense during my a la carte postbacc, but I would gladly sub in 2 lab courses for an extra 20hrs/wk off work.

Just wondering, how a full-time work along with full time-studying is scheduled?
Evening classes. If I had a 9-5 job I could easily schedule (if not so easily complete) 4 classes in the evenings and on weekends. Unfortunately, my schedule is a lot more varied than that (think 12hr shifts with no set pattern, then fill in the gaps with my other job), so I limit myself to 2 evenings/wk in class. I fill one morning with a 9-5 stint in my research job, and the other with volunteering and studying. I get 1, maybe 2 full days off each month unless I request vacation (which I only do if I'm traveling for some reason).

if your total course load is 12 units then, I guess, is not "tat" bad, but I you will probably be very busy without much time to relax and be a normal human being. It's your call.

The trick is to really map out your schedule ahead of time. Figure out what your crunch weeks are going to be and prep ahead...don't let your job-work pile up when you know you've got an exam coming up. If you have to miss a class, do the makeup work before the missed class rather than after. If you can adjust your work schedule slightly around exams, that helps too. Take a day and just cook in bulk - I'm talking like 30 burritos at once. Freeze them and boom: on the go lunches and dinners with no more thought. (Sidenote: burritos are healthy, filling, require no dishes, and microwave perfectly if you tear the plastic wrap off the top 1/3 and stand them upright in a coffee mug...no cold spots, even heating, no Tupperware). When you get your syllabus, put EVERY assignment into your calendar right away.
I used to be a terrible student due solely to my crappy time-management skills. Then I decided to go med so I got my act together...the above has worked for me for a jam-packed summer sched (anatomy, neuroscience, and physio all in 8wks) as well as now, with 60hrs/wk at 2 different jobs, 12hrs of commuting, and 2 sciences in the evenings!

I think she stole it from me actually. Never been more honored in my life!