Is it possible to work a part-time job during your full-time MSW and stay sane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brycepj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a full-time job that pays well and has fairly flexible standards. For example, I can work from anywhere with wifi, I can work most any hours of the day, and I can work part-time, as long as I give some notice.

So while I don't want to overload myself at the outset of an MSW, I also would hate to lose a good, flexible income source to help support me and my family (wife and a baby) during the program. I'm trying to be protective of my own peace and balanced lifestyle, and would quit the job if I knew I couldn't keep the stress down during the program.

So, I'm just looking for some general thoughts about working during your program.

Answers to any of the following questions would be helpful:

- Did you work during your MSW? Why or why not?

- How many hours did you work?

- What was your stress level?

- What's the most hours a person could reasonably work during the MSW?

- How much free time did you have?

- In hindsight, would you have done things differently?

Members don't see this ad.

I am nearing the third semester of my full time program. I recognize my privilege of not having to work. Students in my full time cohort who work, do so part time, mostly waitressing on the weekends. Others do per diem work in the mental health field. Like other programs, our full time program requires three days/24 hours a week of field placement and four classes a week. They offer evening and weekend classes to ensure flexibility.
I personally leave my house at 5 AM everyday and get home at 7 PM (two hour commute each way. Then I have readings and written assignments/ papers/midterms/finals/etc. My stress level is pretty high without a job.
There are three other regular posters here who I am certain will chime in soon and may be able to answer your question directly. Again, most of the people I know who work full time attend the program part time.

Last edited:
I too am fortunate enough to be able to work part time..however I definitely have a few classmates who are working part time while being enrolled full time...and I HEAR about it...but they do it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Part-time, just enough for gas, not enough to derail my work.

4-12, depending on work/available hours. It's worth noting that this "job" pays me to sit at a desk and exist. I can do my homework and it's in the lobby of my apartment, so, there's that.

Medium/High

Maybe 20 hours would be reasonable if you are properly motivated? I wouldn't want to commit to that, but just to throw out an arbitrary guess.

What's that?

Still doing it, always considering dropping work, then my car runs out of gas.

Honestly, I don't know how much various programs differ in workload, but full-time student and full-time employee would be impossible in my opinion. If you can chop that down to 20 hours, I'd say give it a go and see how your work/mental health are affected and go from there. Personally though, even 20 seems optimistic, you probably couldn't pull that off steady for two years of grad school without suffering. Just like submarine said, the only people I know working are either part-time students, or VERY part-time employees.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the answers so far. Great information.

I would talk to people in the schools in which your looking to get a real answer. While my schoolwork keeps me busy it does not consume my life. A friend of mine just broke down crying to me on the phone about how overwhelming her workload is and she is contemplating dropping out....

yes because I wanted more clinical experience and extra money

2-3 shifts a week mostly on weekends, 2 my second year when doing almost full time rotations

Pretty high, I had no social life.

16 I would think, 2 shifts, at least one on the weekend, I would recommend. I got used to working 6 days a week, and still do.

Free time? what's that

Not at all. Not only did I have extra money, I gained valuable clinical experience that helped when I graduated to set me aside. Also- it kept me on a tight schedule so I never had last minute all nighters or stress over a paper being due. I had aside like an hour a day between class and work to work on papers due at the end of the semester, so I wasn't ever behind on things. If I had all the time in the world, I probably wouldn't pushed it off until a week before it was due and freaked out. I need a tight schedule to function best :)

Old thread and I don't know if OP still needs this info. I worked full time while getting my masters in mental health counseling until it was time to start my internship. I worked 40 hrs a week and went to class/practicum at night. Class/practice was 3x a week and I still managed to have plenty of free time.

- Did you work during your MSW? Why or why not? I didn't do a MSW, but I did a M.Ed. in counseling, but i did work full time during my program. I'm a full-time Psy.D. student now and work full-time

35-37

4-5

Full time

Plenty

Not at all. I worked during my masters to gain experience and get connections. I am now working while completing my doctorate in order to finish supervision hours for independent licensing.

Old thread and I don't know if OP still needs this info. I worked full time while getting my masters in mental health counseling until it was time to start my internship. I worked 40 hrs a week and went to class/practicum at night. Class/practice was 3x a week and I still managed to have plenty of free time.

Hi Solias, thanks for your posting. May i ask what type of job you did? Was it related to your program?