Is it practical/possible to run a private psychiatric practice while also teaching full-time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ranseurus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior in high school who is leaning toward studying psychology in my undergraduate years with a minor in chemistry. I am seriously considering psychiatry as a career but am wondering about the practicalities of running a private practice while also teaching psychology at say, a community college, full time. Teaching psychology at a four-year community college while also being a practicing psychiatrist seems very attractive to me as I believe I would be comfortable doing both. However, is this something that is commonly done by psychiatric practitioners and would it be doable based on my interests? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a senior in high school who is leaning toward studying psychology in my undergraduate years with a minor in chemistry. I am seriously considering psychiatry as a career but am wondering about the practicalities of running a private practice while also teaching psychology at say, a community college, full time. Teaching psychology at a four-year community college while also being a practicing psychiatrist seems very attractive to me as I believe I would be comfortable doing both. However, is this something that is commonly done by psychiatric practitioners and would it be doable based on my interests? Thanks.

If you are a psychiatrist, you wont be teaching psychology...its two different fields

If you are a psychiatrist, you wont be teaching psychology...its two different fields
That's not entirely true. While the two are separate fields, I know a number of psychiatrists who teach psychology courses. I also know of psychologists who have appointments as "instructors of psychiatry," All depends on the setting.

As someone who is an "instructor" in a department of psychiatry, it doesn't mean much. Many of these are in title only. Also, many mental health departments in general are simply housed within a psychiatry department. If you practice and teach there, it doesn't make you a psychiatrist. It's all semantics. I, however, have never had a formal class taught by a psychiatrist. I have instructed MD's on cognitive screening though.