Is it realistic for me to get into an MD/PhD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesertScouser

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are better than mine when I applied. I declined interviews and got multiple acceptances. Apply to many, broadly and realistically and you'll be fine.

Oops, sorry I didn't clarify; it is 1/23/15 score, so it is not expired, and still accepted for almost all the schools, according to the aamc data sheet. (also, I must report that it was a second score; first was 10 PS, 10 BS, 8 VR for 9/12/14)

Your newest MCAT is on par with average MD/PhD matriculant, and each subsection is within 1 SD.. I think that if there's anything stats-related that keeps you out of programs, it's your GPA.. My guess is your target will be mid-tier and lower-tier programs, with a few top-tier dream programs thrown in for "in case there's something special".

Your newest MCAT is on par with average MD/PhD matriculant, and each subsection is within 1 SD.. I think that if there's anything stats-related that keeps you out of programs, it's your GPA.. My guess is your target will be mid-tier and lower-tier programs, with a few top-tier dream programs thrown in for "in case there's something special".

+1 Your GPA will hold you back from being considered at a lot of programs. They will autoscreen you out for interviews and your MCAT is average which doesn't really make up for the GPA. Mid to Low tier programs are your best bet. The publication will likely help at least a little bit. When you do get your interviews, make sure you can clearly and simply articulate what you contributed t0 the project.

Also, don't retake the MCAT if you aren't confident/didn't have an appropriate amount of time to study. That's asking for trouble.