Is it really true that ACGME residencies can't distinguish between any DO school or is it a myth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frodohobo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know so that I can stop worrying about which DO school to attend.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It obviously depends on the faculty member. With that said, certain schools will very much give you more opportunities compared to other schools. For instance, you'll very likely have better options if you go to TCOM or MSU over WCU.

I'm not going to the best DO school I have been accepted to ... but I am going to the school that fits me best.

Reactions: 1 user
^^^^^^^ This guy gets it.

And I might add that any advantage that TCOM gives you is likely in terms of DO residencies or local MD residencies. MSUCOM might let you sneak by because they have an MD program in house too, and they're a household name outside of medicine. It's sad that sports success can affect the "name impact" that a school has in academic circles, but I think it can have an effect.

But in general, I don't think that equally qualified applicants from CCOM and say COMPNW applying to an MD residency in Florida are going to be separated because of the schools they attended. Unless of course the program has a favorable history with graduates of one of the schools, or there's someone in a position to make a decision who's an alumni.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the region.

Most Michigan ACGMEs know about MSUCOM. Most of them don't know what Rocky Vista is.

Most California ACGMEs know about WesternU and Touro. Most of them don't know what Nova is.

In general, the ACGME residencies tend to know more about DO schools in their region. They don't get the memo every time another new DO school pops up 2000 miles away.

Reactions: 5 users
It depends on the region and past performance. PDs are risk averse and tend to stick with the tried and true in their applicant pool.

My understanding is also along the lines of previous posters. Graduating from a DO school basically puts you in a "category" of applicants. Don't view that negatively, just view that as a reality that is natural due to having unique letters and a slightly distinct approach in medical education. Due to that, it is up to you as an individual to prove your quality to ACGME programs.
I will say however that sometimes being in a regional school can give you an extra edge. I have heard from a fellowship director at Duke and faculty at some of the academic hospitals and programs in state (NC) that while most don't really know anything about osteopathic medicine they know the reputation of Campbell University's other health sciences programs so they assume the quality is there and will be reflected in their doctoral graduates. I believe that may benefit CUSOM students up the road and likely others as these top tier institutions become less jumpy about the different letters and more clear that DO graduates practice equally competently by their standards. This wouldn't be true or at least wouldn't happen as quickly at these places if it wasn't for the pre-existing LOCAL university that has garnered a reputation.

EDIT: I didn't mean to make this sound like a CUSOM plug, it's just an example of how things are equal but yet not always quite equal if you get what I mean

It obviously depends on the faculty member. With that said, certain schools will very much give you more opportunities compared to other schools. For instance, you'll very likely have better options if you go to TCOM or MSU over WCU.

I'm not going to the best DO school I have been accepted to ... but I am going to the school that fits me best.

Where u ending up at mehd?

I think recognition of a lot of DO schools (maybe all of them) is regional. Everyone around here knows UNECOM. Not many are as familiar with NYCOM or Touro-NY. Only the DOs I've met have heard of schools outside of these three. PCOM seems to have a good reputation, at least among DOs, but it might not matter much if the PD holding an MD isn't familiar with the school. Doesn't mean you can't get into a residency in a different part of the country. Judging from where I work, I know that UMass has had residents from Midwestern (both Chicago and Arizona), PCOM, and AT Stills. There was an EM resident that finished up last that was also DO (I forget from where), and I know of at least one IM resident that is also DO. Having DOs doing candidate interviews and evaluations at that program probably helps as well.

Last edited:
I'm going to echo the overwhelming opinion here that this is regional. At least I have noticed when looking at residencies in the upper Midwest I have seen a lot of CCOM and DMU grads in ACGME residencies. It's just a lot more likely that ACGME are going to be familiar with DO schools in their backyards.

I guess I'm hoping for TCOM since it probably gets Texas size regional love.

Now this brings up the question of does it really matter then if I have a DO or MD if I plan on staying and working in the same region, in terms of matching into very competitive residencies in the state?

Last edited:
If frodo wanted uncompetitive specialties I would say no, honestly.

What's better, DO school in the area you want a residency, or MD school 1000+ miles away from the area you want a residency? Assume it's the same residency.

AGCME residency will take the MD over the DO the majority of the time I would imagine.

Regional bias is really only applicable for AOA residencies when it's DO vs DO. And no one really knows the extent of it.