Is it required to take a foreign language as a pharmacy major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

URIpharmacy20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming freshman for the Pharm D program at URI and have completed 4 years of spanish in highschool. I was just wondering if it was required of me to take a couple extra years of a foreign language while in college?

Members don't see this ad.

No, but it was an option during pharmacy school as an elective to satisfy graduation requirements.

HTH

I would say check with whatever schools you are looking into. Not all pharmacy schools have the same pre-reqs. For example, I only needed Micro-Economics, and other schools I looked at needed both Micro and Macro, the same with Physics and Calculus. Some require 2 semesters, and others only require one. The school I'm attending didn't require a foreign language class per say, but they did require so many Humanities/Social Sciences pre-reqs and that falls into that category.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an incoming freshman for the Pharm D program at URI and have completed 4 years of spanish in highschool. I was just wondering if it was required of me to take a couple extra years of a foreign language while in college?

If you want to make yourself more marketable, I would stick with Spanish until you are fluent. You will be highly desirable if you are Bilingual in spanish.

I think it's not necessary as it may be just an option as an elective.

How useful Spanish is depends on where you live. If American Sign Language (ASL) is available, I'd actually recommend that because no matter what kind of work you end up doing, you WILL have deaf patients or customers. Of course you wouldn't be fluent, but knowing how to spell and do numbers, and signs for basic words, really helps. And the customers will love you for it! :cool:

ASL uses English words, but it is NOT English. It has its own grammar, syntax, and slang, and even regional accents.