Is it safe going to Caribbean if you want to practice only family medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't be discouraged by all these posts OP, it's all about the boards, I know people who graduated from African(Nigerian and many others) medical schools and matched into psychiatry and even surgery at Penn :claps:. So if you deem yourself capable it is really just a matter of doing well on the boards. And guess what? they are better off than any of us here. They have no loans to repay, African medical schools are almost free, everyone should envy them and seriously consider going to Africa for medical school :D.
I'm unaware of any IMGs at Penn. FMGs yes, but if you are an American that went to a non American MD school, it is a black mark.

Members don't see this ad.

I get your point. The most ideal situation would be to attend a U.S medical school obviously. But if for many reasons that seems impossible, why discourage someone to pursue their dreams because of the name of the school? If they believe they are competitive but were just unlucky (Yes luck plays a huge part, most of us applicants are very competitive but we will not all get in) to get in a U.S medical school and they know they are capable of succeeding in med school and excelling on the boards why not? I mentioned African meed schools for a good reason. Why go to the Caribbean and pay $250k to have the same chances in terms of residency placement as someone who graduated from an African med school with absolutely NO DEBT? If i have to explore the caribbean route I might as well go to Africa or Europe.

Stupid post. Most medical schools in nigeria aren't even accredited anymore due to poor quality. Many students from Nigeria end up having to start all over or pursue a different field all together when they come over. Where are you getting this information from?

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard of UK, Australia, and even Poland. Africa is a new one.

I'm holding out for Antarctica before I apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know at least four people that went to Ross and did just fine. Everyone keeps blowing the Stigma of IMG out of proportion. If you were never meant to get into medical school you'll still fail in the Caribbean. If you screwed up because of laziness, health, financial etc reasons it's your last chance. If you pass your boards you'll get a residency slot. A lot of ifs

Reactions: 1 user
I know at least four people that went to Ross and did just fine. Everyone keeps blowing the Stigma of IMG out of proportion. If you were never meant to get into medical school you'll still fail in the Caribbean. If you screwed up because of laziness, health, financial etc reasons it's your last chance. If you pass your boards you'll get a residency slot. A lot of ifs
haha you are so wrong

Reactions: 3 users
haha you are so wrong

There is a reason why those med schools still exist. There's a reason why we keep bringing up this topic. There's a reason why you didn't give me a counter argument. If you are smart enough to get into a US medical school, but for whatever reason didn't, you'll do just fine in the caribbean. However people who never had any business entering a med school classroom will drop out (which will be almost half the class). These schools are more profit based more than anything else.

There is a reason why those med schools still exist. There's a reason why we keep bringing up this topic. There's a reason why you didn't give me a counter argument. If you are smart enough to get into a US medical school, but for whatever reason didn't, you'll do just fine in the caribbean. However people who never had any business entering a med school classroom will drop out (which will be almost half the class). These schools are more profit based more than anything else.
nah

I'm so sick of your condescending tone. Seriously, because something exists, has a strong marketing push, and so many people are exposed to it, that invariably means totally valid and legit. Okay, I was talking about Golden Opulence Sundae at Serendipity, but this applies to Caribbean schools as well.

Get off your high horse. Caribbeans are awesome options, perhaps even better than most US medical schools. I know, because my anecdotal evidence - or as you know it, the best kind of evidence - contradicts and destroys the statistical evidence.

Stupid post. Most medical schools in nigeria aren't even accredited anymore due to poor quality. Many students from Nigeria end up having to start all over or pursue a different field all together when they come over. Where are you getting this information from?
Can't be true, I know 2 people who graduated in Nigeria and who matched last year in pediatrics.

I'm unaware of any IMGs at Penn. FMGs yes, but if you are an American that went to a non American MD school, it is a black mark.
Check again, there are some graduates from African medical schools there, there is at least one that I know there, I guess you would call him FMG then.

Agreed. I know a guy who cured cancer from Ross. He matched this year in Radiology Oncology at Mayo.

Hey, you ve got to be confident about your capabilities if you are going to be a great doctor. If other people made it, why do you think you won't? too much pessimism here, you want something? go get it, no time to think about all the what ifs, walk confidently in the direction of your dreams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check again, there are some graduates from African medical schools there, there is at least one that I know there, I guess you would call him FMG then.
There is no African medical school graduate in Penn's Surgery program.

Reactions: 4 users
Please provide a link to those residents.

You've claimed there is an FMG in Penn's Surgery program. The roster is available on line; the only one with an "African name" did his undergrad at Harvard and med school at Penn.

Reactions: 2 users
There is no African medical school graduate in Penn's Surgery program.
That is for the current program. He could have completed the program already I have no idea. But I'm absolutely sure I know one FMG in one program there that matched last year.

That is for the current program. He could have completed the program already I have no idea. But I'm absolutely sure I know one FMG in one program there that matched last year.

He would still be in the program if he matched last year. At least in a categorical position.

He would still be in the program if he matched last year. At least in a categorical position.
He was really good. He finished the program in six months, so they never bothered to list him, even through internet archives.

Reactions: 4 users
No, the one I know who matched last year matched in a program I don't know, I just heard from other classmates because he completed another degree at another Ivy league before starting the program. What do you all think? that FMGs don't match ? there are FMGs even at Hopkins, one of the best hospitals in the world.

No, the one I know who matched last year matched in a program I don't know, I just heard from other classmates because he completed another degree at another Ivy league before starting the program. What do you all think? that FMGs don't match ? there are FMGs even at Hopkins, one of the best hospitals in the world.

Just provide a LINK to the person you knew who graduated from an African Medical school and did his surgery residency at UPenn. Just show us. Stop making excuses....unless he doesn't exist. In which case, you don't have to show us.

Yeah - Hopkins Bayview and Hopkins Sinai, not the REAL Hopkins.

It's amazing how pessimistic people are, with so much pessimism, it's hard to reach your full potential. There are FMGs out there that have outdone it, and they deserve respect, for their demonstrated bravery and talents.
Pessimism? It's on the website.

Yeah - Hopkins Bayview and Hopkins Sinai, not the REAL Hopkins.
I will not say anything about this because i will not expose anyone, that is disrespectful. But I do know WHO I'm talking about.

Pessimism? It's on the website.
He is in his third year in general surgery, that is not prelim. And please stop exposing these brave men, there are more of them out there.

Just provide a LINK to the person you knew who graduated from an African Medical school and did his surgery residency at UPenn. Just show us. Stop making excuses....unless he doesn't exist. In which case, you don't have to show us.
Somebody else just showed you I hope you are satisfied. I wouldn't expose anyone on SDN.

He is in his third year in general surgery, that is not prelim. And please stop exposing these brave men, there are more of them out there.
I just posted the categorical residents of Surgery at UPenn. NONE of them are from an African medical schoool.

FMGs are non citizens that typically train here in the US and then go back to their original country to practice. Spots for them are few and far between and they are typically the best and brightest from their home countries. Their stories do not translate to American graduates of Caribbean or international med schools.

I just posted the categorical residents of Surgery at UPenn. NONE of them are from an African medical schoool.
Categorical, non categorical whatever, I will not expose anyone, but 2 people already showed you 2 FMGs currently at Penn.

FMGs are non citizens that typically train here in the US and then go back to their original country to practice. Spots for them are few and far between and they are typically the best and brightest from their home countries. Their stories do not translate to American graduates of Caribbean or international med schools.
A lot of them practice here because when they complete residency they are given a pathway to citizenship.

Lol yeah ok

It's amazing how pessimistic people are, with so much pessimism, it's hard to reach your full potential. There are FMGs out there that have outdone it, and they deserve respect, for their demonstrated bravery and talents.

An FMG actually from his country is worlds apart from an American who goes to Africa to attend medical school because he can't get into medical school in the US. One is the cream of the crop of an entire nation who has to prove himself everyday just to get offered a prelim position at a decent program , the other is the bottom of the barrel trying to backdoor his way into a residency.

In your perverse world, my posts validated your points. The reality is they show how difficult it is for an FMG to get a residency in this country. The guy in the prelim position is a rock star on paper and if he graduated from an American medical school he would have gotten a categorical position, easy. He didn't, and he has a 1 year position that will likely end with him on the street when it's done. You can imagine how much harder it will be for an American who goes to medical school in Africa or some other god awful place to try to match into a categorical residency. PD's aren't stupid. They see that (assuming they look at international students at all) and it's an automatic red flag.

Reactions: 8 users
Categorical, non categorical whatever, I will not expose anyone, but 2 people already showed you 2 FMGs currently at Penn.
Yes, they're prelim residents (1 year) who graduated a long time ago.

You lost me when you said they get their training here, then go back to their respective countries. Just be quiet and sit down
u mad bro
batman-joker-u-mad.gif

The guy in the prelim position is a rock star on paper and if he graduated from an American medical school he would have gotten a categorical position, easy. He didn't, and he has a 1 year position that will likely end with him on the street when it's done.
Yes, so sad. It shouldn't even be done.

An FMG actually from his country is worlds apart from an American who goes to Africa to attend medical school because he can't get into medical school in the US. One is the cream of the crop of an entire nation who has to prove himself everyday just to get offered a prelim position at a decent program , the other is the bottom of the barrel trying to backdoor his way into a residency.

In your perverse world, my posts validated your points. The reality is they show how difficult it is for an FMG to get a residency in this country. The guy in the prelim position is a rock star on paper and if he graduated from an American medical school he would have gotten a categorical position, easy. He didn't, and he has a 1 year position that will likely end with him on the street when it's done. You can imagine how much harder it will be for an American who goes to medical school in Africa or some other god awful place to try to match into a categorical residency. PD's aren't stupid. They see that (assuming they look at international students at all) and it's an automatic red flag.
I told you I wouldn't expose anyone. The other one is in his 3rd year I don't know how you call that prelim. But the point was that yes you can match from a foreign medical school and I know many more FMGs that matched last year even in neurology and at other great institutions. But I would not be anymore specific because I hate exposing people.

And they don't go home, Immigration services has a pathway to citizenship for U.S trained physicians in case you didn't know.

I've noticed, there are two types of people who come here asking for questions: ones who want to know, and ones who seek approval. The latter, there's no convincing.

Yes, they're prelim residents (1 year) who graduated a long time ago.
Nope, one of them is current. I don't even know how we got into all this, but it's simple, the medical school doesn't matter if you are confident about your capabilities. If you are less confident, then maybe you shouldn't go to a foreign medical school.

I told you I wouldn't expose anyone. The other one is in his 3rd year I don't know how you call that prelim. But the point was that yes you can match from a foreign medical school and I know many more FMGs that matched last year even in neurology and at other great institutions. But I would not be anymore specific because I hate exposing people.
There are no FMG categorical Penn Surgery residents on that list. The only one you are exposing is yourself.

Reactions: 5 users
There are no FMG categorical Penn Surgery residents on that list. The only one you are exposing is yourself.
Well when I originally said I knew people who matched at Penn as FMGs I don't remember using the word categorical or non categorical, you brought it up. And again, the list you showed is for the current program.