Is it selfish to leave America for a while?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Godspeedyou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still have no idea what I want out of life so I'm thinking about spending a year after graduating to go work on a rice farm in China so that I can learn the true meaning of hard work and sacrifice. At the same time I also have a couple pre-reqs that need to be fulfilled (meaning if I left, I couldn't finish everything until 2017...) and I feel like I'm just killing off my youth, since I have already spent an extra year in undergrad. My parents and family regard me as a failed offspring and genetic waste. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll contract Typhoid fever while on the fields and this will help get my life into gear...

Edit: this is not a troll thread. I've been studying Chinese since 2009 and would be willing to demonstrate my proficiency in the language if needed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1/10

Reactions: 3 users
I still have no idea what I want out of life so I'm thinking about spending a year after graduating to go work on a rice farm in China so that I can learn the true meaning of hard work and sacrifice. At the same time I also have a couple pre-reqs that need to be fulfilled (meaning if I left, I couldn't finish everything until 2017...) and I feel like I'm just killing off my youth, since I have already spent an extra year in undergrad. My parents and family regard me as a failed offspring and genetic waste. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll contract Typhoid fever while on the fields and this will help get my life into gear...
lol this is awesome

Members don't see this ad :)
God speed, you

Reactions: 6 users
Are rice farms in China looking to hire angst-ridden, American pre-meds?

Reactions: 20 users

Edit: this is not a troll thread. I've been studying Chinese since 2009.
Dude, there is no need for that. Do you feel like you don't value those things? I don't value the process of the making of whey protein powder, but I am not going to go milk cows and make cheese at a farm. If you want to value hard work go stand outside a Home Depot parking lot in the summer looking for work and try to live off your earnings (30 bucks a day for backbreaking work).

:troll:

Reactions: 2 users

Edit: this is not a troll thread. I've been studying Chinese since 2009 and would be willing to demonstrate my proficiency in the language if needed.

"Killing off youth" with some down time and hard labor is not necessarily a bad thing for your development. I'm doing that right now before matriculation in the fall. But it sounded like to me that you are depressed, or at least feel lost. All I can say that don't try to act with the aim to manipulate other people's view about you. Make decision so that in the long run, it works for you and it makes you feel right and others will come around.

And sorry but there is no idyllic "rice field" in China as portrayed in fiction and movies on which you can magically transcend into peace and happiness. But if you are attract to the thought of being treated with admiration and respect simply because you are an exotic Caucasian American, then yes, you can get plenty of those from strangers in the rural parts of China (not any more in major cities), until they too sense the same self pity from you and shy away.

Last edited:
Just work at a local fast food joint. Believe me, after working a soul-sucking job, you will quickly thank God that you actually have options..

Reactions: 11 users
I think these are legitimately really important things to do before going to medical school. Honestly one of my greatest regrets is not taking more time to explore myself and my wants and whatnot before going to school. Once you enter medical school, with few exceptions, you're on a 10 year fast track with little time for side shows. Honestly, I wish I'd spent the last years of my youth traveling and exploring myself/the world rather than having spent them studying for Step 1.

A couple people seem to be dumping on you for the rice field thing, and I'm not sure that's fair. If that's what floats your boat, it's what floats your boat. I do wonder how well you've thought that through, as something that you would realistically enjoy and want to do vs an idyllic image. My vote is to recommend you read the book Vagabonding. Maybe instead of hard labor and etc you just need to explore China and get to know yourself a little better. Some backpacking and time spent alone abroad can do some wonders. These things can be done very cheaply, and you can still work some odd jobs while you're there to make ends meet if you just HAVE to get your hard labor fix.

Chin up, brother.

Your looking for a Walden Pond type experience, I think. There might be a better way to find it than going to a developing area of a developing country.

Reactions: 1 users
I love traveling and overseas is far more enjoyable than across the border, Anyhow, I'd avoid China and go to Japan instead. Did you know the Japanese feel it is important for them to only eat Japanese rice (rice imports are banned and the population is aging and they could use the help, will they I have no idea).
http://spice.fsi.stanford.edu/docs/rice_its_more_than_food_in_japan

Edit: I just read the whole studying chinese thing..... Thought it was a rice thing at first. Anyhow, just disregard this.

If you really want to crush your soul, spend a year working at a McDonald's and trying to live off of only that income. Do it in Chinatown if you want to practice your Chinese in the mean time.

Reactions: 14 users
I love traveling and overseas is far more enjoyable than across the border, Anyhow, I'd avoid China and go to Japan instead. Did you know the Japanese feel it is important for them to only eat Japanese rice (rice imports are banned and the population is aging and they could use the help, will they I have no idea).
http://spice.fsi.stanford.edu/docs/rice_its_more_than_food_in_japan

Edit: I just read the whole studying chinese thing..... Thought it was a rice thing at first. Anyhow, just disregard this.
The Japanese ban on imported rice is a protectionist move designed to protect the incomes of the dwindling rural Japanese farming population.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to crush your soul, spend a year working at a McDonald's and trying to live off of only that income. Do it in Chinatown if you want to practice your Chinese in the mean time.

The perspective gained will stop OP from typing "Medicine is a job", LOL!

Maybe something fun and relaxing, like backpacking through Europe would be a better option for the OP? Why would one willing cause self-harm or want Typhoid Fever?

The Japanese ban on imported rice is a protectionist move designed to protect the incomes of the dwindling rural Japanese farming population.

It can be seen in that light for sure. More of a cultural thing though. It symbolizes self-sufficiency to them. Nowadays, the economy is king and they would be better off ending the gigantic rice subsidies.

Claiming a need for self-sufficiency stable supply, Japan has a long history of heavy protectionism in the rice sector. Despite pressures from virtually every single trading partner Japan deals with, they have maintained a rigidly stubborn stance opposing foreign imports of rice. At the peak of such protectionist policies in 1985, Japan records that imports of rice from the US barely totaled .2% of total domestic consumption. In fact, until very recently, Japan has been closed to virtually all rice imports.
http://www.japan-101.com/government/rice_trade_policy.htm

7/10. The Chinese farm thing made me laught. Trolls around here are in the natural selection phase.

Reactions: 3 users
7/10. The Chinese farm thing made me laught. Trolls around here are in the natural selection phase.
:smack:

I just read through his profile and I'd have to agree. Dedicated though, he's been here for years (maybe a phase).

You realize that you can work as a migrant farm worker right here in the US of A?!?!

Reactions: 4 users
Do you think you are competitive enough for a Chinese rice farm? The competition for university is insane in China, you will probably be competing with high school kids who couldn't get in with their measly 3.98 high school GPAs and 95th percentile entrance exam scores. I would go to a Carib sugar cane plantation.

Reactions: 28 users
Do you think you are competitive enough for a Chinese rice farm? The competition for university is insane in China, you will probably be competing with high school kids who couldn't get in with their measly 3.98 high school GPAs and 95th percentile entrance exam scores. I would go to a Carib sugar cane plantation.
Why does this not have all the likes?

Ha Typhoid........that might be the least of your concern boy. Stop the drama, your parents care for you.

But really, it is.

Brown rice or white rice?

If you want to postpone your professional career to find the essence of "hard work" (lol) join the military so you actually have something praiseworthy to show for it.

Reactions: 4 users

True, but I feel like this would only make me hate my life even more. I've always had problems with committing to things, whether it be girlfriends or World of Warcraft characters (a silly example but as a child, it took me almost 4 years to pick my main [the character you spend 90% of your playing time on improving, akin to picking a major in university]). Now it's becoming readily apparent that my deficiencies in commitment are impeding my advancement into my next stage of life. I've known what I've wanted to do since 2011 (those claiming troll can go back to my first thread and see what I mean) but yet now it's 2015 and I've made so little progress. I'm a contrite academic sinner.

What is your degree in? Do that.
I'm sure it will suck and get your priorities straight.
Or join the military and spend 4 years serving your country. Then use the GI bill to go to school and laugh all the way to the bank holding your head high.

Pull a David Sedaris and move to oregon to pick apples.

Bottom line, no. It's not necessarily selfish. You're much more valuable to the rest of society after you figure yourself out.

If you are looking for the true meaning of hard work and sacrifice and don't want to be selfish about it, though, may I suggest checking out the Peace Corps. They have positions in China which would allow you to use your language abilities as well.

I would avoid the Typhoid fever, if possible, though...

True, but I feel like this would only make me hate my life even more. I've always had problems with committing to things, whether it be girlfriends or World of Warcraft characters (a silly example but as a child, it took me almost 4 years to pick my main [the character you spend 90% of your playing time on improving, akin to picking a major in university]). Now it's becoming readily apparent that my deficiencies in commitment are impeding my advancement into my next stage of life. I've known what I've wanted to do since 2011 (those claiming troll can go back to my first thread and see what I mean) but yet now it's 2015 and I've made so little progress. I'm a contrite academic sinner.
Actually, hating your life might be exactly what you need. I dropped out of high school and didn't go back to college until I realized just how much my life would suck working retail until I died.

Start saving a lot of money NOW and then, go traveling. Explore the world and see all the things it has to offer you. I'm so excited to do the same during my year off.

Do you know a dialect fluently? No rural rice farm worker is going to speak to you with your Americanized, white washed Mandarin lmao. They can barely understand native, fluent Mandarin. You're going to have to learn a northwestern regional dialect ASAP. I recommend Sichuanese. Start by going to Sichuan take-out joints and getting in with the lady at the counter

Or go Carib as suggested previously

Last edited:
In other news, 6/10 as a troll. In a non-inflating world, this is B- for effort, C for execution

I've had similar concerns about "killing off my youth" by deciding to enter medical school in my early 20s. I think it takes most people a long time to figure out what they want in life, and becoming a doctor is obviously a huge commitment. But ultimately I think it comes down to deciding to invest in yourself and your education. You may never truly know that medicine is a "perfect fit" for you until later on in your career, but if becoming a physician is something you really want, you will push forward and make the necessary sacrifices. Plus, I've always heard that 30s and 40s are more fun ;)

That being said, I don't think it's selfish to want to leave for a while. I'm graduating at the end of this semester, and plan on spending 1-2 months in Europe. I might even take a year off before applying. If you're serious about the learning Chinese thing, I think it would look great on your med school application! If I were you though, I would definitely finish those couple of pre-reqs you have left, graduate first. Maybe take the MCAT while the material is still fresh, since scores last for 2-3 years. Then go explore! Best of luck to you.

Selfish for who?

The country? We don't care if you're here or doing backbreaking labor in some Chinese rice field.

ADCOMs? Some might think it was kind of oddball, others a valuable experience, others will just think it's dumb. I doubt any will think it's selfish

I think the better question "is it smart to waste my time in some Chinese rice field or not?" I think the ultimate answer to that is no. Someone else mentioned the military and I will second it if you feel you need an electric charge or discipline to your life. It is a commitment. You are serving something greater than yourself, but at the same time, the benefits are not something to sneeze at. A steady paycheck, healthcare, structure, and of course the post 9/11 GI Bill which is 100% available after only 3 years of service. If you're really ready to get your system shocked by deprivation (ie going to some Chinese rice field and doing manual labor), you might as well be getting some benefits and helping your medical school career.

Oh and Chinese language speaker would definitely be a bonus for them. They might even send you to language school to further enhance your skills (with the disclaimer that going there might require an additional commitment).

Either way, OP, get over yourself. It's not selfish to go to China, just kinda dumb (my opinion).

Or it could just, you know, KILL you.

He only posted this for attention.

Trolls please go. I've spent my entire life not receiving any attention due to my unfortunately ugly face and dwarfish stature. I certainly don't need any attention from a Mongolian acupuncture forum... Only advice

Trolls please go. I've spent my entire life not receiving any attention due to my unfortunately ugly face and dwarfish stature. I certainly don't need any attention from a Mongolian acupuncture forum... Only advice

uh................. Best of Luck

BTW: Don't ask weird questions if you want a straightforward response.

-New Question: I need some advice. I have emotion problems with my family. I want help. Should I go do something with hard work involved? etc.

My only advice - take Mbuto with you. He'll help you get through this. Whatever that may entail. Ploughing, seeding, planting...

While I don't really understand your desire to move to the other side of the planet to perform manual labor, I'm even more confused why this would be considered "selfish".

Enlighten me, OP.

Mongolian acupuncture forum

instead of funposting on Mongolian acupuncture forums, you should go back to the Bhutanese cave painting boards. The sense of humor here just isn't the same, OP... you're wasting your potential here, these forums are for srs bzns.

also why are there SO MANY California people here on these forums? and why during the interviews the UCLA kids are always the most belligerent, competitive... I really don't understand how being nasty and condescending to other persons interviewing with you gives you an advantage... yes, I mad, and yes, I'm projecting from bad experience -_- not salty tho

While I don't really understand your desire to move to the other side of the planet to perform manual labor, I'm even more confused why this would be considered "selfish".

Enlighten me, OP.

Selfish in the sense that I could be working and attend a community college/local university and finish my pre-reqs (my mom's wish) rather than leaving the country and not doing any pre-reqs.

instead of funposting on Mongolian acupuncture forums, you should go back to the Bhutanese cave painting boards. The sense of humor here just isn't the same, OP... you're wasting your potential here, these forums are for srs bzns.

also why are there SO MANY California people here on these forums? and why during the interviews the UCLA kids are always the most belligerent, competitive... I really don't understand how being nasty and condescending to other persons interviewing with you gives you an advantage... yes, I mad, and yes, I'm projecting from bad experience -_- not salty tho

Strong first post

The trolls are getting a little more creative.

Have you considered the peace core? It will take extra year, but I think you will gain a lot from it. Especially since you said you have commitment issues. Although this shouldn't be your main reason for doing it, it will also probably also help with medical school applications. ;)

Last edited:

4WEvZE2.jpg

@Mad Jack
said I wasn't salty... but I am moderately rustled

what I didn't like this cycle:
- that the only people of color I saw at Georgetown were the staff in the cafeteria... disclaimer: might have been my interview day.
- combative/unpleasant interviewers, or interviewers who already made a decision that they don't like you and the place you came from and where you've been, and it's a complete waste of their time to interview you as a prospective student of their institution. like you're going to make me cry for coming here to interview ;-;
- condescending ppl in interview groups... or ppl who like to name-drop their educational/work pedigrees or their Nobel Laureate quality research work... u should probably reserve that for interviews -.-
- ppl being super excite to see the anatomy lab in tour groups... this is more funny though.
- tour group medical students lying about how friendly and non-competitive the student body is
- some gross lunches (but at least free)

going back to discussing chinese cartoons and blue text narratives on my malaysian claymation forums.

jimmies-rustled-gif.gif

@Mad Jack
said I wasn't salty... but I am moderately rustled

what I didn't like this cycle:
- that the only people of color I saw at Georgetown were the staff in the cafeteria... disclaimer: might have been my interview day.
- combative/unpleasant interviewers, or interviewers who already made a decision that they don't like you and the place you came from and where you've been, and it's a complete waste of their time to interview you as a prospective student of their institution. like you're going to make me cry for coming here to interview ;-;
- condescending ppl in interview groups... or ppl who like to name-drop their educational/work pedigrees or their Nobel Laureate quality research work... u should probably reserve that for interviews -.-
- ppl being super excite to see the anatomy lab in tour groups... this is more funny though.
- tour group medical students lying about how friendly and non-competitive the student body is
- some gross lunches (but at least free)

going back to discussing chinese cartoons and blue text narratives on my malaysian claymation forums.

jimmies-rustled-gif.gif
It sounds like you need to chill. Don't take things personally, don't compare yourself to others, and realize that the interview process and schools aren't perfect.