Is it still okay to apply for the 2014 cycle now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSAJC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was preparing to apply for the 2015 cycle & heard from a friend that it's still not late to apply for the 2014 cycle, probably lesser chance though. I took the DAT on November 17th and got a bad score but I wonder if it would be okay to give it a shot for this cycle.
My score break down is:
Bio 16 Gchem 18 Ochem 19 TS 17 QR 22 RC 17 AA 18 PAT 21
I have a 3.4 Overall GPA and 3.2 Science GPA
I'm pretty sure my stats are lower than most of you guys
I have pretty decent shadowing hours and some extracurricular activities (research team leader, VP of a school club, etc.)

What are my chances? and is it still okay to apply to dental schools? I will be calling some of the schools to find out but I want to hear from you guys.
I know that most schools accept application till February but some schools have specific deadline for last day possible to take DAT (October 15?)

And most likely i'll be taking DAT again but is there any other suggestions that I could do to bump up my chances of getting into dental school (post-bac program, masters, working at dental office, stuff like that)? What are the deadlines for post-bac and masters application?

Also, I graduated from college this year and didn't take microbio lecture, microbio lab, anatomy. Should I take those courses at community college or the college I went to?

If any of you guys know answers to any of those questions, feel free to answer!

Thanks for reading guys,
and good luck to all of you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Its way too late. Esp with those scores. retake DAT and apply next year is my recommendation. Take those classes and boost up that GPA a bit also in the mean time. Gluck

My personal Opinion: You should retake your DAT and apply next year.
My GPA is almost the same as yours
I applied in mid-july
so far I only have 6 interview invitations.
based on my own personal experience with low GPA's like ours, you need a pretty high DAT to have a chance.
I hope this is helpful and not discouraging.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
With X-mas coming up, ds will be happy to hear from you.

Reactions: 6 users
My GPA is almost the same as yours but my DAT is 25 AA/28 AA
I applied in mid-july
based on my own personal experience with low GPA's like ours, you need a pretty high DAT to have a chance.
Only 6 interviews... That's quite a bit!

Reactions: 9 users
My GPA is almost the same as yours but my DAT is 25 AA/28 AA
I applied in mid-july
what did you use for QR?

Hello everyone,
I was preparing to apply for the 2015 cycle & heard from a friend that it's still not late to apply for the 2014 cycle, probably lesser chance though. I took the DAT on November 17th and got a bad score but I wonder if it would be okay to give it a shot for this cycle.
My score break down is:
Bio 16 Gchem 18 Ochem 19 TS 17 QR 22 RC 17 AA 18 PAT 21
I have a 3.4 Overall GPA and 3.2 Science GPA
I'm pretty sure my stats are lower than most of you guys
I have pretty decent shadowing hours and some extracurricular activities (research team leader, VP of a school club, etc.)

What are my chances? and is it still okay to apply to dental schools? I will be calling some of the schools to find out but I want to hear from you guys.
I know that most schools accept application till February but some schools have specific deadline for last day possible to take DAT (October 15?)

And most likely i'll be taking DAT again but is there any other suggestions that I could do to bump up my chances of getting into dental school (post-bac program, masters, working at dental office, stuff like that)? What are the deadlines for post-bac and masters application?

Also, I graduated from college this year and didn't take microbio lecture, microbio lab, anatomy. Should I take those courses at community college or the college I went to?

If any of you guys know answers to any of those questions, feel free to answer!

Thanks for reading guys,
and good luck to all of you guys.
I say don't waster your money. It's too late and you have to retake your DAT for next cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$ave your money. I learned that this is a pretty costly investment (I know I know, dental school costs are much more but hear me out) and so you'd want to make the most out of this experience. Retake that DAT and crush it (I know you can!) and wait to apply in June. That way, you'll be in the first batch and your chances of getting in are much higher. You also get the freedom to choose between schools whereas if you apply now, you're basically hoping for the single school that will take you in (which may end up being one of the more expensive ones...) Besides, most professors are extremely busy this time of year and I don't know if they can simply whip out a great letter of evaluation for you. If you talk to them now about next summer, it'll be a lot better.

Like everyone else, save your money and apply next year. Use the DAT forum here to build a plan and resources to retake the DAT. Get your app together ahead of time and submit in the first batch. That's your best bet.

First round decisions come out in 9 days...

"Only" six interviews is all you can expect with "just" a 25 on the DAT

Reactions: 2 users
That is pretty funny!

predental-2015,

What was the breakdown of your DAT score if you don't mind me asking?

I don't believe your GPA is necessarily "low" either. Maybe a little below average, but it was good enough to get six interviews. Good job - best of luck to you!