Is it still possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosiespot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just completed my first undergrad semester, and it was pretty terrible.

I didn't become seriously interested in medicine until halfway through the semester (a little before midterms) and I allowed myself to become distracted-- I wasn't academically focused at all. However, once I realized how important my GPA was going to be, I completely changed my study habits, and started doing really well... Particularly in Gen Chem and Zoo. (I got A's on my science midterms and finals.)

Even though I finished strong, my lackluster start decimated my semester GPA. I'm still waiting for a few of my grades to come in, but I'm basically expecting a 2.9. Have I destroyed my chances at attending med school, or do I still have a chance if I work my butt off?

Members don't see this ad.

If you continue to work hard, and do not have another mess up along the road, you will most likely be fine. The biggest thing from here on out is to be consistent so you can continue to raise your GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
If you continue to work hard, and do not have another mess up along the road, you will most likely be fine. The biggest thing from here on out is to be consistent so you can continue to raise your GPA.
Push it to the limit-Corbin B.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You've already taken the first step: acknowledging an area that needs strengthening. I know for myself that was an issue that I faced when I transitioned into college, but I was able to redeem myself. As long as you're willing to go back to the drawing board, and can assess areas that you can grow in, you can overcome this and do significantly better. Seek mentorship, and if possible, ask your previous professors if there are any tips that they may have.

I know that you can, and will, do well! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Read Doctor Lacrosse's Inspirational Story...it will change your life, your perspective!
You can do it!
It's not the end yet...you are just getting started...it's good that you have figured yourself out early on this game...the only thing to keep in mind, "Never give up"

Absofrigginlutely, I'm sure more than one of us here at SDN has had a dumpy semester.

Your story sounds mighty similar to my first semester of Sophomore year (I ended up with a 3.0 and had to withdraw from a bio class). I've had 3 Interview Invites so far this cycle, so a bad semester definitely won't break the bank.

The great thing about getting crappy grades during your freshman year is that you are put in a position to have an upward trend in your GPA if you work at it. I think many ADCOMs see that as a sign of growth and maturity if you can improve your grades and keep them up.

as others have said, you've already taken the first step, you've found the motivation, and judging by your grades on the midterms and finals you can handle science classes and have already started that upward trend.

Good Luck this semester, maybe I'll be your patient one day!

Laaaaaate update: I took everyone's advice, and ended up making the Dean's list second semester/finishing the year out with a 3.2.

I'm taking several summer classes, and getting As in all of them so far... I'm hoping to start off sophomore year with a 3.4ish.

Anything is possible peeps. Thank you all for the encouragment!

Reactions: 1 user