Is it the department that accepts applicants or the POI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazypsychstudent

Clinical Psychology (Psy.D.) Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When applying to PhD programs, who decides if you're going to receive an interview? Is it the department or the professor you applied to work with?

Members don't see this ad.

This varies between programs. Sometimes its a communal vote, sometimes each professor is given a certain number of slots they can fill, sometimes the program director has the final say. Regardless of which voting type, having a professor who feels strongly about you will have a big impact on the final decision.

This varies between programs. Sometimes its a communal vote, sometimes each professor is given a certain number of slots they can fill, sometimes the program director has the final say. Regardless of which voting type, having a professor who feels strongly about you will have a big impact on the final decision.
Oh okay, thanks! Also, is it okay to ask them about your GRE scores? I emailed the professor I'm applying to work with and asked if I'm still a competitive applicant with my GRE scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay, thanks! Also, is it okay to ask them about your GRE scores? I emailed the professor I'm applying to work with and asked if I'm still a competitive applicant with my GRE scores.

Applicant review committees are super busy right now, so I would avoid contacting them with questions like that. Is there anything you could do if they say no?

Applicant review committees are super busy right now, so I would avoid contacting them with questions like that. Is there anything you could do if they say no?
I mean, I already asked them a month ago. I just wanted to make sure it was okay.

You can check the posted admissions data to see the average stats for students who gain admission into that program to help get an idea if it is still worth applying

Yeah, Don't contact schools with those types of questions. The only contact you should really have at this point is asking the point of contact for applications whether or not they received everything. Also, DO NOT ask any questions that can be answered from the school's website, people will just get annoyed and it will hurt your chances.

Agreed. Also, take a deep breath and do some self-care. This is a difficult and anxiety-provoking time, but it presents an opportunity to work on skills like tolerating distress and tolerating uncertainty. You'll need those skillsto get through grad school, anyway. :)

Agreed. Also, take a deep breath and do some self-care. This is a difficult and anxiety-provoking time, but it presents an opportunity to work on skills like tolerating distress and tolerating uncertainty. You'll need those skillsto get through grad school, anyway. :)
Thank you!!