Is it too early to give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesolace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm majoring in Dietetics and Nutrition currently, have been considering switching to Psychology but it's not a big deal. My real issue right now is that the math pre-reqs for med school are absolutely killing me and annihilating my GPA ( I'm doing okay in my sciences, however I got a C in Gen Chem I first semester but I'm anticipating at least a B in Gen Chem II) . I just took one of my last tests before my final for pre-calculus and I'm freaking out. I got a D, yes a D in Trig in my first semester (started Fall 2013). I would account that to one part, terrible professor, two parts: not having great study habits from being one of those kids who did great in high school without having to study. Anyways, I'm going to retake it and do a grade forgiveness this summer.
My thing is this: Should I cut my losses and stop pursuing this path?
Since this past semester I've changed my study habits (that's why I'm doing better in Chem) but in Pre-Calculus, after my first test (I got a B), it's just been all down hill. Currently my gpa is 2.9, due to the D in Trig and the C in Gen Chem I. Ultimately I just want to know if anyone else has gone through this and still came out with a respectable/competitive application for med schools. Other forum threads I've seen, seem to be very depressing and as I'm trying to be realistic, I know with a start like this, it might be possible that in the end I still won't be competitive enough. I have a back-up plan for not getting in to schools on my first try, which is doing my dietetic internship. However, that was in anticipation of not having a high MCAT score (so I'd have time to study and retake) or enough extracurricular activities, but it seems my GPA may end up being the problem. Like how can I be a doctor if I can't do math?
Also, in case you guys need more info on me to form an opinion:
In my university's honor college, and besides those trouble classes I am a straight A student. Probably more on the average side, scored 2010 on my SAT (second try) and 30 on my ACT (second try, upped my math of score of course). I also want to become a pediatrician.

What advice would you guys have? (Sorry, long post is long; also first time poster!)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm majoring in Dietetics and Nutrition currently, have been considering switching to Psychology but it's not a big deal. My real issue right now is that the math pre-reqs for med school are absolutely killing me and annihilating my GPA ( I'm doing okay in my sciences, however I got a C in Gen Chem I first semester but I'm anticipating at least a B in Gen Chem II) . I just took one of my last tests before my final for pre-calculus and I'm freaking out. I got a D, yes a D in Trig in my first semester (started Fall 2013). I would account that to one part, terrible professor, two parts: not having great study habits from being one of those kids who did great in high school without having to study. Anyways, I'm going to retake it and do a grade forgiveness this summer.
Since this past semester I've changed my study habits (that's why I'm doing better in Chem) but in Pre-Calculus, after my first test (I got a B), it's just been all down hill. Currently my gpa is 2.9, due to the D in Trig and the C in Gen Chem I. Ultimately I just want to know if anyone else has gone through this and still came out with a respectable/competitive application for med schools. Other forum threads I've seen, seem to be very depressing and as I'm trying to be realistic, I know with a start like this, it might be possible that in the end I still won't be competitive enough. I have a back-up plan for not getting in to schools on my first try, which is doing my dietetic internship. However, that was in anticipation of not having a high MCAT score (so I'd have time to study and retake) or enough extracurricular activities, but it seems my GPA may end up being the problem. Like how can I be a doctor if I can't do math?
In my university's honor college, and besides those trouble classes I am a straight A student. Probably more on the average side, scored 2010 on my SAT (second try) and 30 on my ACT (second try, upped my math of score of course). I also want to become a pediatrician.

What advice would you guys have? (Sorry, long post is long; also first time poster!)
Lots of freshmen have a rough year while they adjust to the more rapid pace of learning in college, but eventually get it together. Don't give up yet.

Consider asking if there are any math tutoring programs available at your school.

Also, just be aware that DO medical schools (applied to via AACOMAS) have a grade forgiveness policy, where if you retake a class they only include the last grade in the application GPA calculations. MD schools include all grades earned, even if your college has a forgiveness policy.

Even for MD schools, a few low grades early in college aren't a bar to consideration, provided you eventually earn enough As to dilute out the negative effects of any Cs, Ds, and Fs or redeem your academic record in some other way.

Last edited:
Catalystik is right on. I think I've seen that most MD programs seem to require that at least a B- was earned in pre-req courses, so that would mean you'd have to retake your gen chem course to earn a higher mark. Can someone please verify this? I can't seem to find it in any of the pre-med course work requirements for the med school web sites I checked out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too early to give up? Yes
Can you turn things around? Yes

Your school should have a learning or education center; go seek them out for help with learning styles and test taking skills. We don't care about your SAT or ACT... these pale before the MCAT.

Lots of freshmen have a rough year while they adjust to the more rapid pace of learning in college, but eventually get it together. Don't give up yet.
Thanks, Catalystik! I have heard about the DO programs so I will definitely start looking into it. Also, yeah the plan for future semesters is to just ace my classes which once I establish/get a handle on my study habits fully should not be a problem. I am hoping to spin these two bad grades first year as just a freshman fumble which I think is possible given that for all other courses I am doing great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Catalystik is right on. I think I've seen that most MD programs seem to require that at least a B- was earned in pre-req courses, so that would mean you'd have to retake your gen chem course to earn a higher mark. Can someone please verify this? I can't seem to find it in any of the pre-med course work requirements for the med school web sites I checked out.
Thank you for replying as well, JMANN. I couldn't find anything either ( because trust me that C has been bothering so I've looked) and I while I would prefer not to retake the gen chem, I probably will do so at a later time.

Is it too early to give up? Yes
Can you turn things around? Yes

Your school should have a learning or education center; go seek them out for help with learning styles and test taking skills. We don't care about your SAT or ACT... these pale before the MCAT.
Thank you~; yeah, I threw in the SAT/ACT as possible indicators of student/academic potential in terms of forming an opinion but in hindsight they are nothing compared to final boss, MCAT. I will also be looking into to math tutoring, because so far the only math I've ever been great at is Statistics. I probably have a weak foundation and have fallen behind on some concepts. Once again, thank you; it's much appreciated!