Is it too early to worry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zurc2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to all the MD schools in my state (TX) with a 2.9/3.0 506 and 20+ DO schools with a 3.0/3.2 and have heard nothing. Sent back secondaries for all TX schools and DOs. My friends applied the same time as me and they are getting IIs :( Reading these forums I see people are getting IIs daily...my email is super quiet.

I know its not late in the cycle but should I begin to worry a little? Kinda discouraging with my 3.8/30 friends are getting IIs and the dates are filling up fast. Thats less spots for us low stats folks #lowstatsmatter

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are URM your chances for the Texas MD schools are very low. Where did you apply for DO schools?

Reactions: 1 user
I can't sugar coat this; you're not hearing anything because your GPAs are not competitive for any TX MD school, and circling the drain for DO schools.

So I applied to all the MD schools in my state (TX) with a 2.9/3.0 506 and 20+ DO schools with a 3.0/3.2 and have heard nothing. Sent back secondaries for all TX schools and DOs. My friends applied the same time as me and they are getting IIs :( Reading these forums I see people are getting IIs daily...my email is super quiet.

I know its not late in the cycle but should I begin to worry a little? Kinda discouraging with my 3.8/30 friends are getting IIs and the dates are filling up fast. Thats less spots for us low stats folks #lowstatsmatter

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are URM your chances for the Texas MD schools are very low. Where did you apply for DO schools?
AA female. Applied to all DO skools with no state or regional bias. About 27 DO total

Y
I can't sugar coat this; you're not hearing anything because your GPAs are not competitive for any TX MD school, and circling the drain for DO schools.
Yep... that's wat I thought. So many ppl that know me, mostly med students and physicians, said I should get in... easily. I knew better. Knew that was bs

AA female. Applied to all DO skools with no state or regional bias. About 27 DO total
You should receive several DO interviews with your MCAT score. Texas MD schools are also possible for interviews. For MD apply to Howard, Meharry and Morehouse also.

You should receive several DO interviews with your MCAT score. Texas MD schools are also possible for interviews. For MD apply to Howard, Meharry and Morehouse also.
I applied to all HBCUs and Drew UCLA. I feeling hopeless now. I check my email literally 30 y times a day...and nothing. I am getting a strong DO letter this Friday and hope that helps. Trying to stay positive:/

I applied to all HBCUs and Drew UCLA. I feeling hopeless now. I check my email literally 30 y times a day...and nothing. I am getting a strong DO letter this Friday and hope that helps. Trying to stay positive:/
MD schools can interview as late as March and DO schools as late as April. It is a long application season.

MD schools can interview as late as March and DO schools as late as April. It is a long application season.
OK, thanks for the advice. I think I need to stay off the school threads on sdn. Just frustrating to receive all these emails from schools and quickly turning in secondaries but no invites. Ill panic in a month lol

Everything is bigger in TX! Good luck!

Being AA does change the admissions chances dynamics. Your goal now is to convince the Adcom that you can handle med school.
Yes, Im going to do my homework and pour my heart into this interview! Thanks

My email is blowing up today! UTSW and Des Moines II's :) I guess schools are just now getting to my app. Had such a bad day yesterday and today is just... I cant explain. Im going to take a nap....sensory overload.

Edit: The first II was Rio Grande

Good luck. Please keep us updated on how your cycle goes and if u get accepted. This information could prove beneficial to other applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck. Please keep us updated on how your cycle goes and if u get accepted. This information could prove beneficial to other applicants.
I will keep you updated for sure. Still cant believe it lol three IIs the day after freaking out about not getting any. Funny how life works sometimes.

I will keep you updated for sure. Still cant believe it lol three IIs the day after freaking out about not getting any. Funny how life works sometimes.
Dont be too relieved you still have to rock those interviews .. Good luck though, I do love a Cinderella story

Man... Had to revisit this thread I started 3 months ago. Today I broke down with overwhelming joy after years and years of hard work. I have been accepted to my number 1 MD (Top 25) school and will be withdrawing from all my other IIs. I hope this thread encourages someone who is questioning if they are worthy of an acceptance. Yes you are. Keep pushing no matter what. Period.

Reactions: 9 users
Man... Had to revisit this thread I started 3 months ago. Today I broke down with overwhelming joy after years and years of hard work. I have been accepted to my number 1 MD (Top 25) school and will be withdrawing from all my other IIs. I hope this thread encourages someone who is questioning if they are worthy of an acceptance. Yes you are. Keep pushing no matter what. Period.
Congrats! !maybe you can share your school list and schools that showed you love so other students in your situation can use it to their benefit.. Maybe nave out the one that accepted you for sake of anonymity

Also have a URM thread I would love to stop by and say hi. We have a very nice supportive group going on there. Will link later

Congrats! !maybe you can share your school list and schools that showed you love so other students in your situation can use it to their benefit.. Maybe nave out the one that accepted you for sake of anonymity

Also have a URM thread I would love to stop by and say hi. We have a very nice supportive group going on there. Will link later

I applied to nearly all DO schools with the exception of state/regional biased schools. I got far more love oos than I did in Texas (well so far). The schools I would tell low stats applicants with a heavy focus with underserved on their app is HBCU schools, USUHS, Missou, Washington, New York, Carver, and UCLA. I didnt complete the rest of my secondaries due to money so... Also I got zero love from HBCUs, got rejected from some lower DO schools, but got interviews from schools like Carver and UCLA...wtf? This process is crazy unpredictable. I applied to all Texas schools. If anyone has questions about anything just PM me :) I spend well over $6000 with apps, flights, hotel, ect. It was worth EVERY FRICKIN PENNY! If your stats are stupid low then you will have to do a post bacc and be willing to spend money. Goodluck everyone else! Im glad this process is over. Now to start calling schools and cancelling to help out my fellow sdners :)