Is it too late now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddesire

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, I just took MCAT yesterday and as I calculated, it would range between 504-510
GPA: 3.80 sGPA/3.82 cGPA, strong work/activities and strong personal statements, no URM, and so far, I got 2 LORs at this point
My primary just got verified in the last week and I haven't sent it to any schools yet.
So my questions:
1. Is it too late to start considering schools now, or wait to the next year?
2. How worse is it to be a reapplicant?
3. How could I choose which schools to apply without knowing MCAT? Any tips?
4. My MCAT will come out on Sept. 20, so if I continued, I hopefully completed most secondaries by that date, how likely that would be? And what are my chances at that point?

Plus: I'm a NC applicant

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As you calculated? What does that even mean?
That's based on the scores from my practice exams, and how easy/hard the real test was compared to them. I know it's not certain, but it could fluctuate within that range

That's based on the scores from my practice exams, and how easy/hard the real test was compared to them. I know it's not certain, but it could fluctuate within that range

That level of fluctuation is rather significant.

And without knowing your MCAT, school choices are more of a shot in the dark.

If you're sure you got at least a 504, I'd stick with DO schools to be safe... higher scores... 508+ might make you a reasonable contender for MD schools. The MCAT really does matter for school selection. Not that it's impossible to get in to MD with lower than that, just significantly more difficult.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should apply to your state schools and depending on how you score on the mcat, it might be worth a shot at other schools
just know that you will probably be interviewing late in the cycle being complete around october, which could end up in waitlisted spots since the class would be full

in my opinion, send your app to one "throwaway" school (that would have no intention in attending based on your stats) so you can be verified in the meantime and then wait to add the other schools based on your mcat.

i hope everything works out! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Just additional dumb question: how important are personal statement & secondaries compared to GPA/MCAT? What contributes more to the Adcom's decision?

Just additional dumb question: how important are personal statement & secondaries compared to GPA/MCAT? What contributes more to the Adcom's decision?

Totally depends. It impossible to make a generalized statement about this. One way I've heard I said is that stats won't get you in, but they'll certainly keep you out.

Reactions: 1 users
So how late is it if I want to apply to several DO schools this cycle? Would it be the same as MD?
Should I start the application now or wait for MCAT then start later?

Wait until next year.

If you apply to only DO schools, or a mix of DO and MD and get a DO offer but have a MCAT that suggests that you could have been admitted to an MD school if only you had applied earlier, you'll be back here in April asking if it is okay to drop the DO and reapply or you'll be suggesting that you should ask to defer DO school and reapply MD only ("will they find out if I do that?")

Reactions: 1 users
Stats get you to the door; ECs get you through. It's a common pre-med delusion that PS and essays have magic properties.

The DO cycle is longer and so you fine even if your app goes out on November. However, do NOT apply to DO schools unless you're 100% willing to attend a DO school if accepted. The wise LizzyM is spot on in her advice (as usual).