Is it too late to apply to MHA programs this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bzinl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really just decided to go for the MHA. I'm graduating this May. I've been pre-med so my GPA has been gouged by difficult science classes but I'm expecting to graduate with BS Neuroscience 3.17 gpa. I haven't taken accounting(would probably take during summer) but I am taking economics this semester. I also haven't taken the GRE yet or asked anyone for letters.

I am looking at schools that have later deadlines like: GWU (July), USF (May) etc... But I realize that if I put in the app before the deadline it will still be pretty late and the schools might have filled their seats already.

Should I just wait to apply after graduation? I'm afraid I won't be able to get academic LORs after I leave school. Also when does SOPHAS open? And if I do decide to wait until next year, when should I start applying? Any advice about the application process would be great. I'm making kind of a jump from pre-med here and I'm still a little confused.

Also, what counts as work experience? Should it be more healthcare/clinical or more business? Can volunteering or doing an internship in a hospital without being paid still count?

Please and thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think it is too late but I would get your application in within the next 2 weeks to still have a fair shot! If it makes you feel better, I applied in November to 5 schools and have only heard back about one so far about interviews, so decisions are definitely still happening. Some schools haven't even sent out any interview offers yet.

I don't think it is too late but I would get your application in within the next 2 weeks to still have a fair shot! If it makes you feel better, I applied in November to 5 schools and have only heard back about one so far about interviews, so decisions are definitely still happening. Some schools haven't even sent out any interview offers yet.
Thank you for replying. For some reason it seems like it's kinda hard to get a reply from this forum about MHA programs. So I appreciate it. I am going to apply for next year early so I can take my time and get my materials and GRE together.

I'm an MPH student, so it might be different, but I did not submit my applications for two of the schools until the day before the deadline, and I still got accepted into both. Most schools don't fill their seats until very late when the registration deadline (pay your deposit) passes. I have no idea how they figure out how many students will actually attend and how they allocate acceptances.