Is it too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsssully

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior in college with all my requirements met. I was looking through the posts and see that many have already been accepted into podiatrist programs. Is it too late to apply? The podiatry website days the priority deadline for fall admission is April of that same year. Am I missing something? I'm looking to go to north Chicago Rosalind Franklin if that matters...

I don't have great experience but have volunteered in an er for 7 months and done 5 shadows recently. I have a 3.85 GPA and 31 mcat. Please help and let me know if I'm too late or if I have a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply now. you will get in to any podiatry school with those stats. Also with your gpa you will be getting a pretty good scholarship from Scholl.

Good luck, I hope to see you in the fall if you decided to apply.

Thanks, I am leaning towards applying the more I think about it. Do you know if the priority deadline means anything? Or do they start accepting ppl as early as they want?

Members don't see this ad :)
just apply now... You will get in with a scholarship

You really should do a lot of research about podiatry and figure out if this is what you want to do. Its a great field, but the differences between podiatry and being an MD are way more than petty or trivial stuff like letters and prestige. It is a different road to walk - look into the varying state to state scopes of practice and the issues with residencies (numbers of spots and limitations in training). Take off your socks and know from day one that what you see is your specialty. Look into the costs of the difference schools. I don't know the price of your home state, but I can tell you that podiatry schools cost a lot more than Texas medical schools. Shadow a few podiatrists or talk to a few podiatry residents. I saw your posts concerning your MD application - if that's really what you want I think there's a lot of people on here who would tell you that spending a year beefing up your resume and application isn't the worst thing in the world. Seven years is a long time to commit to doing something that your brain will always whisper was your second choice.

All that aside - you are extremely likely to get in unless you are just the weirdest person in the world. You'll be offered interviews everywhere you apply. If you look around these forums you'll see applicants with way less competitive stats than you who were offered interviews everywhere and were accepted anywhere they interviewed. My advice - only apply to schools you actually would want to go to. I did the whole "apply everywhere" thing because I wasn't sure how competitive the process is. Applying to only 1 school would probably be viewed as risky, but really give each city and school some thought and eliminate the "nevers". You won't need them. Best of luck with Scholl and be certain to follow up on your application and LORs. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think the consensus is that they do not offer interviews until they have your 3 letters.

its not too late to apply, you will def get in. just make sure you understand what you applying for so there is no complaining later.

Also if you have applied to medical school, on the application you are obligated to disclose this information. apply selectively. from what I hear most the classes are not filled until later in the application cycle sometimes all the way into june.

if medical school what you really want (since you have the stats), you think carefully and intelligently before applying.

is it okay to shadow just one podiatrist, and get a really good rec letter from them?

It's fine to shadow one podiatrist in regards to your application. BUT it is important to shadow multiple podiatrist to get a good idea of how different podiatry practices can be from one another. The first podiatrist I shadowed was getting ready to retire and sell his practice. His days were pretty slow and consisted of mostly palliative care. I didn't really fall in love with podiatry until I shadowed my second podiatrist. She had the perfect balance of clinical cases as well as surgical. If I had only shadowed one podiatrist, I might have dismissed podiatry all together. This is why I always suggest that people shadow multiple DPMs just for the sake of validating your personal choice. Goodluck!!

thanks so much!! really appreciate it =)

You have plenty of time, it doesn't look good to wait too late but it's not the end of the world. I actually applied on June 6th, got an interview for June 30th, and was accepted to start classes on August 1st.