Is it too late to send in an application for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonOfaMotherlessGoat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I was planning on applying next cycle but I took the DAT last Friday and surprised myself with these scores:
AA: 24
TS: 25
OC:29
GC:25
Bio:23
RC:26
QR:19
PAT:20
My GPA is a 3.79 overall and I believe my science to be higher, around 3.8-3.9
I do not have a ton of service and my shadowing is approaching 50 hrs. Would applying this late in the cycle really hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you finished your personal statement? Do you have all your letters of rec ready? If all other aspects of your app are ready then I think you should apply. With those stats you could pull it off.

Working on the personal statement and letters of rec now. Will my service and shadowing be weighed heavily?

Members don't see this ad :)
Get your transcripts sent to AADSAS asap. What schools are you applying to? For some 50 is enough, for others it will not be. My advice would be to set up some shadowing now and put it on the app even if you haven't completed it yet. It will be complete by the time the interviews roll in.

Washington requires 100. UoP requires 40. Oregon requires 50, 25 of which must be general practice. UCSF, Midwestern, & USC only list as recommended.

Reactions: 1 user
Heck, if you can get your letters and transcripts in time, why not, go for it.

But let me tell you my friend, getting letters from professors can be a PITA. It took me nearly 10 emails and 3 visits to finally get it uploaded.

Good luck to you. Sick scores!

A good personal statement can take 2 weeks to write and have it reviewed by a professor. A letter of Rec. can take up to a month. Transcripts can take 1-2 weeks depending on the school. Completing the application takes about 4-7 hours depending if you have everything with you (transcripts, personal info, etc.). Worry first about the personal statement and talk to your professor and dentist for those LORs. Do the app once your personal statement is done. However, don't expect a pre-december interview.

with those stats you will probably get in somewhere

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm working away at it. One LOR in and other couple on the way. Any suggestions for the personal statement?

I decided to apply this cycle and haven't submitted yet!

Would recommend wait until next year
i know that's bad but you can do more shadowing, volunteer, take more pre-requist for more schools
Personal Statement need at least one month to be ready and more than 10 persons read it and give you a feedback
But you can still apply and get somewhere with those stat especially USC

Reactions: 1 user
While schools do definitely save a couple of spots for high DAT score students, there's already a lot of high DAT students. More and more a year it seems. I would say the rules have changed slightly since a few years past.

Personal statement is very important and I refuse to think it is not. It was how I got into a good undergrad, and I doubt that #s alone can sell a human being to accept another human being. A good personal statement needs months for sure.

Its too late now, but you should've wrote your personal statement, got letters ready, got supplements ready before/while studying for the DAT. Had you done that, you should apply now.

don't waste your money applying
some people already got rejections from month
P.S and community service and shadowing are important