Is it too late to send programs letters of intent/interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zempa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've also heard two different things:

1. That you should only send one email out to your top choice program

2. That you should send out emails to your top 3 programs

any advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

It may or may not be "too late" depending on when your top programs hold their meetings. I know my #1 has already met because I know one of their residents (luckily I sent my email about a week before it).

These questions about letter of intent have been asked and answered multiple times and there is no right answer. The answer usually is "might help, probably won't hurt."

I'm a fellow applicant and I personally only sent out one e-mail to my #1. I think it doesn't make sense to tell 3 programs you are ranking them highly.. if you're not saying they are number 1 then they probably aren't. However, I have heard advice to send "I'm ranking you highly" e-mails to #2 and #3.

In the end, I do not think these letters change anything. I personally did get a nice and encouraging but non-committal response to my #1 e-mail. I don't necessarily think it means anything. Some programs have a rule of not reading them and/or not responding to them. So try not to freak out if you don't hear anything.

I've also heard two different things:

1. That you should only send one email out to your top choice program

2. That you should send out emails to your top 3 programs

any advice would be appreciated

Do 1. for sure. Don't know anyone personally who did option 2 but whatever...some people may disagree. I know the majority of my classmates did 1. and were happy with the results.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do 1. for sure. Don't know anyone personally who did option 2 but whatever...some people may disagree. I know the majority of my classmates did 1. and were happy with the results.
Is it too late to send such a letter to our #1? Have most programs submitted the list (or) not submitted the list yet?

Every program is different. You don't have a lot to lose by sending it out regardless. I know a PD in another field who will literally alter their rank list up until the night before it is due - so you never know.