Is it too late to submit secondaries to PCOM, CCOM, and AZCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambitiousMED

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of submitting my secondary applications mid-December. Is that too late? I have a great GPA but a low MCAT score (in the twenties). Do you recommend just waiting until next year?

Members don't see this ad.

The DO application cycle is a lot longer than the MD one, but a December secondary submission is late no matter how you look at it. In addition, Christmas and New Years are around the corner, so your secondary probably won't be looked at until mid/late January.

Those 3 schools you listed are all top DO schools that love high MCAT scores. A late application plus a lower MCAT score make these schools a long shot. I have a decent GPA and a 33 MCAT, along with strong ECs that include extensive DO shadowing and a strong DO letter. I was complete at AZCOM and PCOM around early September, and I still haven't heard anything from them.

Have you applied to other schools? Any IIs?

Hi ProudMD, I haven't applied to any other schools yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ProudMD, I haven't applied to any other schools yet.

Then wait until next cycle.

Apply to 15-20 DO schools (both the newer ones and the more established/competitive ones), submit your primary in June, and you should be golden.

Reactions: 1 user
Then wait until next cycle.

Apply to 15-20 DO schools (both the newer ones and the more established/competitive ones), submit your primary in June, and you should be golden.

OP, this is your best bet. Chances after applying this late are slim.

It's best to wait until next cycle, and have everything ready to submit in a timely (read: as early as possible) manner, without having the title of "reapplicant".

OP, this is your best bet. Chances after applying this late are slim.

It's best to wait until next cycle, and have everything ready to submit in a timely (read: as early as possible) manner, without having the title of "reapplicant".

What's the disadvantage of having the title "reapplicant"? And am I considered a reapplicant if I already submitted my primaries?

What's the disadvantage of having the title "reapplicant"? And am I considered a reapplicant if I already submitted my primaries?

Being a reapplicant means that you were rejected by every medical school that you've applied to in the past. And yes, you will be a reapplicant if you apply again.

Additionally, OP, to save you from any further dilemmas in the future:

Reapplicant also includes individuals who were accepted to medical school, but for some reason (didn't like the school, have other issues, etc.) turned down their acceptance(s), and decided to reapply later.

This puts you at a MUCH bigger disadvantage than simply not getting in during a cycle (unless you have a 2.0 GPA with a 4 MCAT...not even JC himself can save that ship).

So...take whatever acceptances you (hopefully) receive in the future, and run with them. Unless you no longer wish to be a physician.