Is it too much to ask to see your personal statements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steelersfan1243

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am by no means trying to copy your personal statement or looking inspiration for mine, but I believe reading other peoples reasons to pursue Md/PhD will help me understand what I need to think through to see if this is career path for me. I am still having difficulty, mostly because I know I would love to do research, but why did you guys chose both degrees vs just one of the two. Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The personal statement is where you state your reason/motivation for pursuing medicine, and maybe have a snippet of how medical research is a main motivator or something you wanna pursue.
Then in the MD-PhD essay you explain why you're pursuing both degrees and not one or the other.

The personal statement is where you state your reason/motivation for pursuing medicine, and maybe have a snippet of how medical research is a main motivator or something you wanna pursue.
Then in the MD-PhD essay you explain why you're pursuing both degrees and not one or the other.
I concur. You can think of / use the MD-PhD essay to explain what you have done so far to pursue a career in research and why you want to continue doing so.

You should talk to people about this career path who are doing it (instead of reading applicants' essays) to see if this career is for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to make the same decision right now as well. At this point I'm leaning towards the dual degree. I emailed a bunch of students who were open to being contacted (from their school's website) from a variety of institutions and at different stages of their careers. I asked them all the same questions and like 20% responded. There's probably some response bias involved here but overall I have found it very useful and enlightening on both the positive and negative ends of the experience spectrum.

Been reading these for almost 8 years now as part of student admission committee. 90% plus basically say the same thing. I drown them all out. It is not that relevant to your application if you have hit the other important components, so just write that you want to have a hybrid life blah blah and get on with it.