About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true?

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by Peeshee, Aug 3, 2002.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Peeshee

Peeshee Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Is it true that if you work for the Indian Health Service or a similar place that you don't have to have completed your residency? Someone once told me that they accept some medical school graduates who have passed both Steps 1 and 2. I am not sure though if this is accurate.

Also, for the loan repayment, do they pay for all loans, including alternative loans, or only for stafford loans?
    Thanks!
  2. Lee

Lee Administrator Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    No place will take you if you don't have a license. You need to take Steps I - III and complete an internship in order to get a license.

I would strongly discourage any physician that is considering not having a full residency and board certification. Many insurers will only contract with board certified (residency trained) physicians.

IHS and USPHS both repay loans between 20,000 - 35,000 per year. Go to their respective Web sites to learn more.
  3. xraydoc

xraydoc

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I agree, don't cut short your medical education, I think you will regret it in the long run. It is very easy (sort of) just to continue to take the punishment and do your residency/fellowship etc... It is exceedingly difficult if not almost impossible to quit being a regular doc and go back to being a student. I just can't imagine going back now, and I have been at this attending thing for only 2 years. One has a tendency to grow accustomed to the certain advantages! ;)
  4. spartydoc

spartydoc Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    hey xraydoc, you live in East Lansing?? I am a sophmore at michigan state and am interested in going into family medicine..... You think you could help me out??????