Is it unprofessional for Docs to grow full beards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZedsDed

You know what really grinds my gears?
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, I love me some facial hair.

Members don't see this ad.

full beards are quite common on male doctors. Personally, I only find it to look unprofessional if it's unkempt.

Reactions: 1 user
Dr. badass will see you now...
nick-wooster-slim-fit-pinstripe-suit-navy-sunglasses-beard-dotted-tie.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reid B. Blackwelder, chairman of the American Academy of Family Physicians

BlackwelderFPaward%201.JPG

Y'all need to shadow more if you're not seeing enough doctors with beards or wearing makeup. Probably not going to see both on the same person but you never know! :p :p

Reactions: 11 users
Everyday we stray further from god's light
The Jesus look is definitely not for everyone. I think I pull it off pretty well though

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Now I wonder why @gyngyn @Winged Scapula and few others say it's frowned upon/unprofessional to grow a nice full beard for interviews :whistle:
Shave for your interview: med school, residency, fellowship or job. After that, it's whatever your public will bear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shave for your interview. Med school, residency or job. After that, it's whatever your public will bear.
Is any facial hair tolerated in the afore mentioned scenarios?

If growing a full beard is unprofessional, would it be discriminatory against Muslim men?

Reid B. Blackwelder, chairman of the American Academy of Family Physicians

BlackwelderFPaward%201.JPG
Oh hey he was one of my interviewers a couple months ago! He is an awesome man and his beard is even better in real life.

Come to Portland, and you will see lol

Everytime I see a guy with the lumberjack look (i.e., man bun and a beard), I can't help but assume he's an insecure try-hard hipster who does nothing but looking in the mirror and telling himself how rugged and manly he is then proceed to spend an hour to take care of his hair and beard. Just my opinion though. Do whatever you feel like doing. As far as attending physician, I prefer my doc to be clean shaven and not looks like he hasn't showered in a week.

Last edited:
Everytime I saw a guy with the lumberjack look (i.e., man bun and a beard), I can't help but assume he's an insecure try-hard hipster who does nothing but looking in the mirror and telling himself how rugged and manly he is then proceed to spend an hour to take care of his hair and beard. Just my opinion though. Do whatever you feel like doing. As far as attending physician, I prefer my doc to be clean shaven and not looks like he hasn't showered in a week.
That's fine, I'm not terribly concerned with what judgmental people think of me as far as personal preference goes. Not every hairstyle is a political statement, some of us just like to try different styles for fun. Over the past five years I've had everything from a buzzed head with a clean face to the long hair and beard I have now. If my future colleagues strongly prefer the clean-shaven look than I will gladly transform myself into Ward Cleaver.

Dreads and beard here and sitting on two acceptances, waiting to hear from my third school. There are professional beards and there is facial hair that looks like you haven't looked in a mirror in a week. One is okay for an interview and the other, not so much.

And i do find it slightly ironic that someone with a handle of dr smexy is judging folks with beards and long hair for looking in the mirror at their own, shall we say, smexiness. Just my opinion though.

Dreads and beard here and sitting on two acceptances, waiting to hear from my third school. There are professional beards and there is facial hair that looks like you haven't looked in a mirror in a week. One is okay for an interview and the other, not so much.

And i do find it slightly ironic that someone with a handle of dr smexy is judging folks with beards and long hair for looking in the mirror at their own, shall we say, smexiness. Just my opinion though.
I don't pretend to be a saint who never judges anyone. I however make an effort to realize my judgment and its implications. Nothing wrong about admiring one's smexiness but everyone has their own perspective on what smexiness is.

I can't tell if you're full of yourself or just conceited.

You could always get away with a beard even on interviews, just make sure it goes with a kippah.

I've had a beard since early sophomore year, in varying states of tidiness. Before interviews and stuff I trim it and make it look nice, but it's been part of me for so long, I'd never dream of fully shaving mine. I feel like thinking of beards as being unprofessional is a pretty outdated sentiment. It literally doesn't say anything about someone except that they like having a beard. If the beard is groomed, not all over the place, and of a decent length, I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

Reactions: 1 user