Is it worth applying to Australia if you've already been accepted to Ireland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jloyay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent my MCAT and university transcripts in to Oztrekk in January but I got accepted to University College Cork in March and the Australian medical application processes is just open for February 2016 intake.

My cGPA from UofT was 3.56 and I have done the MCAT twice with both times getting 33. I've also done two undergrad research projects and volunteered at as an admin assistant in a hospital for one year.

My goal is to open a GP clinic in either Canada or the US and serve as a family physician.

Is it worth submitting the Oztrekk application now? Australia is a lot more expensive than Ireland for Canadians but Im not sure about match.

Members don't see this ad.

I sent my MCAT and university transcripts in to Oztrekk in January but I got accepted to University College Cork in March and the Australian medical application processes is just open for February 2016 intake.

My cGPA from UofT was 3.56 and I have done the MCAT twice with both times getting 33. I've also done two undergrad research projects and volunteered at as an admin assistant in a hospital for one year.

My goal is to open a GP clinic in either Canada or the US and serve as a family physician.

Is it worth submitting the Oztrekk application now? Australia is a lot more expensive than Ireland for Canadians but Im not sure about match.

Thats a good question. I'm also wondering what the better option is also and how the curriculums differ between those countries. My best guess is that since both make you an IMG there shouldn't be a big difference in difficulty to match back between the Irish or Australian schools. Theoretically you could pay your deposit to UCC and see if you get in this summer to Australia for february. I think with that MCAT you should be competitive for any Australian school you applied to.

I think it will be more about where you want to live for those few years while in school. And the cost difference. The time difference between Australia and north america is big and travel costs will be greater, and also since the semester starts in february it may interfere with setting up rotations and the match (Irish schools will be on a more similar semester schedule to the US schools). I think both will require significant independent study for the USMLE (I know at least that the Australian curriculum tends to be less focused on basic sciences and doesn't go into nearly as much depth as you need for that exam, not sure about the Irish curriculum and how much closer it is to what is needed for USMLE).

I think ultimately it will come down to location (do you want to be in ireland or australia) and total cost and do you want to start this fall or next feb. I don't think quality will be substantially different. Just an opinion. But looking forward to hearing what others say.

Take UCC and go, I honestly don't see what the point of going to Australia is at this point. Its more expensive, not any better for matching purposes and you have an offer. Definitely take UCC, there are more Canadians in Ireland than in Australia or at least they are much more vocal in Ireland, the match rates are proven. UofT IM took 8 out of the 12 IMG spots from Ireland in 2014, think about that for a second. Statistically about half of IMG spots end up going to true IMGs. That already leaves no room for other CSAs.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You wouldnt find out about Australian schools until mid July (Sydney) and early November (Melbourne)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have solid stats for US schools. If you want to practice in the U.S. Why not just go to school here? I'm interested to hear your reasoning.

You have solid stats for US schools. If you want to practice in the U.S. Why not just go to school here? I'm interested to hear your reasoning.

I am Canadian and not too many American schools accept internationals. I applied in 2012 with similar stats after doing my MCAT (same score 33R) in August (submitted my app in late September) and didn't get one interview.

I am Canadian and not too many American schools accept internationals. I applied in 2012 with similar stats after doing my MCAT (same score 33R) in August (submitted my app in late September) and didn't get one interview.
What schools did you apply too? Also you applied too late. You're better off making Better school choices and applying super early. Don't go into debt and become ineligible to be a physician for lack of patience. You have potential but are taking the wrong path.

are you aware of Australia's "moratorium" that requires you to work in underserved area for 5-10 years before they license you?
Ireland > Australia in this case.

Take UCC and go, I honestly don't see what the point of going to Australia is at this point. Its more expensive, not any better for matching purposes and you have an offer. Definitely take UCC, there are more Canadians in Ireland than in Australia or at least they are much more vocal in Ireland, the match rates are proven. UofT IM took 8 out of the 12 IMG spots from Ireland in 2014, think about that for a second. Statistically about half of IMG spots end up going to true IMGs. That already leaves no room for other CSAs.
does going Australia (UQ-O) make one's chance of matching in the US better than Irish schools, because UQ-O has rotations in the US?

does going Australia (UQ-O) make one's chance of matching in the US better than Irish schools, because UQ-O has rotations in the US?

Yes definitely. No one can deny the fact that spending 2 years in the US is going to help you significantly. In addition, Ochsner has a history of taking UQ students for fields like IM whereas in Ireland you have none of that.

thx.
in Ireland, your chance of staying in Europe is better than Australia (UQ-O)?

I think if you must go abroad UQ-O is one of the best choices if you're willing to pony up the tuition cash. UQ is ranked in the top 20 worldwide for medical schools and in the last 2 years you are given the opportunity to make the necessary connections in the US. Also have met many Australians over my travels and they are all generally laid back and very easy to talk to (probably generalizing haha). I wouldn't mind spending 2 years in Australia myself but the airfare is $2000 roundtrip to Australia from the east coast and the tuition is $70,000 USD which is hefty for me. If you can afford it then definitely go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes definitely. No one can deny the fact that spending 2 years in the US is going to help you significantly. In addition, Ochsner has a history of taking UQ students for fields like IM whereas in Ireland you have none of that.
i am struggling with this choice tremendously especially when i'll have to turn in the deposit for an Irish school soon...

UQ-O allows (1) 2 years of rotations in the US, (2) i don't have to set up rotations myself but it is in Ochsner hospitals in New Orleans, while i want to work and settle down in the northeast...

on the other hand, Ireland allows (1) only 2 months of rotations in the US but (2) probably at places i want to live but (3) i'll have to set up rotations myself, and i'm afraid it's a hassle like some past students have said... But even if i get the freedom to choose the elective locations, there's no guarantee i'll get one in my desired location as lots of places don't accept IMGs AND June-August is when American students' demands for electives are the highest (AMGs are given priority for electives AFAIK)...

UQ-O only allows 2 weeks off for semester breaks and 3 weeks of for the 1st summer - no time to study for USMLE... The 2nd summer (intensive USMLE study time) is 6 weeks long - from Nov 15 to Jan 1. But if what an SDNer here says is true (that there are no USMLE test dates from Christmas to New Year) then i'm screwed at UQ-O. Is there any way to check this?

Ireland allows plenty of breaks (3-4 weeks for christmas, 3 months for summers).

UQ-O does not let students have contacts with real or actor patients until 2nd year.

Ireland starts patient contact from day 1, I've heard.

In the end, does having 2 years of clinical rotations in the US still look better even though it's not in a location I'd eventually like to match at?

Last edited by a moderator:
i am struggling with this choice tremendously especially when i'll have to turn in the deposit for an Irish school soon...

UQ-O allows (1) 2 years of rotations in the US, (2) i don't have to set up rotations myself but it is in New Orleans, while i want to work and settle down in the northeast...

on the other hand, Ireland allows (1) only 2 months of rotations in the US but (2) probably at places i want to live but (3) i'll have to set up rotations myself, and i'm afraid it's a hassle like some past students have said... But even if i get the freedom to choose the elective locations, there's no guarantee i'll get one in my desired location as lots of places don't accept IMGs AND June-August is when American students' demands for electives are the highest (AMGs are given priority for electives AFAIK)...

UQ-O only allows 2 weeks off for semester breaks and 3 weeks of for the 1st summer - no time to study for USMLE... The 2nd summer (intensive USMLE study time) is 6 weeks long - from Nov 15 to Jan 1. But if what an SDNer here says is true (that there are no USMLE test dates from Christmas to New Year) then i'm screwed at UQ-O. Is there any way to check this?

Ireland allows plenty of breaks (3-4 weeks for christmas, 3 months for summers).

UQ-O does not let students have contacts with real or actor patients until 2nd year.

Ireland starts patient contact from day 1, I've heard.

In the end, does having 2 years of clinical rotations in the US still look better even though it's not in a location I'd eventually like to match at?

I think the 2 years of clinical rotations in the US will probably outweigh the location issue. People match across country all the time, the question is do you get elective time at UQ-O in order to rotate at other locations in the states?

I don't think geographic location within the USA has so much to do with it. You'll be in the USA for 2 years! That is a huge advantage over those who are only there for 1-2 months. At the end of the day it will be more important to have an american MD from the field you wish to pursue residency in to write you a strong letter. It doesn't matter if this is a doc from New Orleans or New York. You just want an American doc in your field of choice. Also, New Orleans has some well regarded hospitals.

In terms of USMLE prep, it will have to be an ongoing thing throughout the years, IMO. My plan is: get the First Aid book and read through it prior to day 1 of school, ie. take a couple weeks and read once quickly just to get the idea of layout / topics / approach etc, I'm not intending to learn or memorize new things at this time although perhaps some prior knowledge may be reviewed. Then as we cover concepts in school I plan to refer to the chapters in First Aid, add extra notes when needed and use it as sort of a high yield summary of class concepts. Come USMLE prep time it will be the 3rd time you're looking at the book. Some may disagree but personally I've always done better in school when pre-reading slides even quickly; and someone suggested this method to me.

If you're looking to just go to the US and not Canada, then I'd say a top-tier Caribbean school like St. George or UQ-O might be a better choice, simply because of the way the rotations are set up and at that stage in the game connections are everything.