Is it worth going from PTA to PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ot24345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has any one transitioned from PTA to PT? If so what path did you take in your undergrad, and was it worth taking out the 100k in loans as far as pay and benefits? Were there any significant differences? And lastly were you happy with your decision to further your career from PTA to DPT? I'm currently a PTA and planning on pursuing a DPT in the future, and wanted to hear your experience if you have made this transition. Just to give you an idea of what I will be giving up in the process; 50-53k annual salary (hourly), also PRN on the weekends roughly twice a month for an extra 350 -400. Health, dental & vision benefits, 401 k, no student loans, paid CEU courses by employer and paid vacation, sick, and personal time off.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a bachelor's degree? I haven't done what you are talking about obviously, but if you combine that many years of lost income plus the cost of PT school...from a financial standpoint you'd probably looking at $300k for an approximately $20k/yr pay increase, maybe $30k/year over what you make now after you've been a PT for a while. If you were to do it, I'd say you'd have to be doing it for the sense of autonomy or career satisfaction, or some other factor other than money. Because 6+ years worth of your current salary is a huuuuuge price to pay...and honestly as a PT trying to pay back those loans you won't have any more money to live on than you do now anyway, unless you want to take the rest of your life to pay them back lol. Not trying to talk you out of it, just saying this is what would go through my head.

I guess another way to look at it would be how much of your work life you have left...if you're gonna be working for another 35 years, that would end up being like $1M more than what you'd make in your lifetime as a PTA...if you're only gonna work for another 10 years, probably not worth it as you would barely recoup the cost of school/lost income/interest.

You have some very valid points, I'm still debating. Have a few months to think about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not consider going PTA to PA.... You would have a diversified skill set that would make a lot more financial sense, ever thought about it?

Yes, PA is actually one of my options asides from DPT. But the one thing I'm not to fond of is retaking the boards every 6-10 years. That's a bit of an inconvenience. However I'm still considering it at this moment. Have been doing some research on schools and job outlook.

My personal opinion would be that if your already in the PTA field than transitioning to PT would not be wise. This is b/c the lack of substantial return in comparison to your current salary and postion as a PTA. I would either stay put as a PT or move towards a different health profession if that interests you such as PA, nursing, etc. Run the numbers on the expected PT salary with debt + the opportunity cost lost from being in school 3 more years vs the current financial situation you are in as a PTA....I think it will be self explanatory as to what I am trying to say. Also, consider that the jobs of PTA vs PT are only different in that the PT can do the evals and has more documentation than the PTA.

My personal opinion would be that if your already in the PTA field than transitioning to PT would not be wise. This is b/c the lack of substantial return in comparison to your current salary and postion as a PTA. I would either stay put as a PT or move towards a different health profession if that interests you such as PA, nursing, etc. Run the numbers on the expected PT salary with debt + the opportunity cost lost from being in school 3 more years vs the current financial situation you are in as a PTA....I think it will be self explanatory as to what I am trying to say. Also, consider that the jobs of PTA vs PT are only different in that the PT can do the evals and has more documentation than the PTA.

Very good, more succinct version of what I was trying to say :)

If that is what you want to do go for it. You can find a million reasons to talk yourself out of it. There are options. I just did it. I am very happy with my decision. I went to a private school had 200K in debt. I am currently doing the pay as you earn program and my monthly payment is $430. I work for the VA which means I will only have to pay that for 10yrs and be through with it. I love the autonomy. I will be paying back 51.6k total and I am very happy with my job and the benefits.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my best friends in school is a PTA to DPT. She worked as a PTA for over 10 years, went and got her bachelors degree (4 years) and then applied and got accepted. We graduate in December. She did it because she needed more. She wanted to know more answers and be able to do more with patients.

If that is what you want to do go for it. You can find a million reasons to talk yourself out of it. There are options. I just did it. I am very happy with my decision. I went to a private school had 200K in debt. I am currently doing the pay as you earn program and my monthly payment is $430. I work for the VA which means I will only have to pay that for 10yrs and be through with it. I love the autonomy. I will be paying back 51.6k total and I am very happy with my job and the benefits.
Hi
I'm a PTA looking to become a PT. I have finished all my science prerequisite but don't have a bachelors. Did you have a bachelors when you applied to PT school?

6-7 years of more schooling to get a DPT when you already have a PTA? That just doesn't make a lot of sense intuitively to me - PTA seems to be a good route for those without a bachelors and DPT is better for those who are already completed or in the process of completing their bachelors. I agree with the other posters who are saying if you want to pursue further education I would do something that doesn't require a bachelors. I had a bachelors in an unrelated field and had to take all my pre-reqs in a year and a half of heavy loads of school work and now I still have 3 years of DPT ahead of me. I can't imagine having to take 4 extra years of fill-in classes along with the pre-reqs!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm currently active duty working on an associates and when I get out I'll have 4-6 years of college paid for. I was first intending on becoming a pta but I can't decide if it would be smarter to go dpt or pa after. Which would be a smoother transition? Would my pta credits/time flow into the other professions or would it be a waste of an associates degree

The only benefit of getting a PTA associates degree first would be that you would have a way of making money through grad school, working PRN / weekends. Otherwise, not many classes would transfer. I would not spend time doing that if you will have military benefits and get on a track for DPT or PA, whichever you decide. Both are good career choices.

Depends on what you want out of your career. I'm a PTA, about to start DPT school in less than a month. PTAs, if you have a good DPT working relationship, have a good amount of autonomy as long as they stay within the POC. You can make good money as a PTA, too. After getting accepted, I had a to do a lot of soul searching to determine if the 3 years of extra school and student loans were worth it. In my case, for me personally, I feel like it is.

There is a bridge program in Ohio, for PTAs who want to be DPTs and don't want to start over. They're difficult to get into. No PTA classes transfer over to DPT schools - only pre-reqs would.

There is a bridge program in Ohio, for PTAs who wantto be DPTs and don't want to start over. They're difficult to get into. No PTA classes transfer over to DPT schools - only pre-reqs would.

explain....

explain....

Those were two different thoughts, I should have spaces them out. To clarify:

There's one bridge program, at the moment, in the US. The second is set to start next summer I believe. So, one program for all the PTAs thinking about a DPT makes it insanely competitive, especially when their class size is around 36.

You have to have at least a bachelors to apply to a DPT program. Your PTA courses don't transfer over - for instance, in my PTA coursework I took neuro, pathology and a bunch of musculoskeletal classes. Those do not take the place of any required course, or planned course. I still had to take anatomy, physiology, exercise phys, etc.

Just an idea what about becoming a COTA as well. I always thought about that I might make a thread about it.

6-7 years of more schooling to get a DPT when you already have a PTA? That just doesn't make a lot of sense intuitively to me

It doesn't make sense to me either. I vote "no." The only difference between PT's and PTA's is the legal ability to examine a patient and update a POC. You can travel as a PTA and still make good money, although not as much as a PT. It's not worth 7 more years of school and the concomitant opportunity cost.

It depends on what you want to do. I needed "more" and I knew I wouldn't be satisfied in my career unless I did it-- extra loans, stress of school, and all.

It is Not the same job plus evals and paperwork, as I've heard many people describe--it truly is a different role within the same field. It was the best decision for me, and I'm very happy :)

Reactions: 1 users