Is it worth it to apply to Western Michigan SOM without ties to SW Michigan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

femmegoblue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Michigan resident, born and raised, and I don't know if I'll be cast aside because of my lack of SW Michigan ties. I am from the east side (metro-Detroit), and went to college in Ann Arbor, so there's not even a shred of a tie to the area that I can come up with. I know one of their essay questions ask about this specifically. For those without any ties, what exactly do you put for this kind of question?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Michigan resident, born and raised, and I don't know if I'll be cast aside because of my lack of SW Michigan ties. I am from the east side (metro-Detroit), and went to college in Ann Arbor, so there's not even a shred of a tie to the area that I can come up with. I know one of their essay questions ask about this specifically. For those without any ties, what exactly do you put for this kind of question?

WMed has no regional preferences, except if you went to WMU or Kalamazoo College as undergrad. If you have no ties, that is not a big deal.

This is stated somewhere on our website

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a MI resident, I recommend Western MI for you. I don't see them as being geographically specific as SIU is.
So you are at MSUCOM?

Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile

WMed has no regional preferences, except if you went to WMU or Kalamazoo College as undergrad.

Huh, didn't know that. I almost went to K many years ago.

/just tell them about the time you got drunk on Oberon in your essay and you should be good to go for regional connections.

Reactions: 2 users
humor doesn't pass through the electrons very well, but the use of "resident" was for the OP, who is a native Wolverine.
:dead:

WMU/Stryker gives preferential treatment to WMU/KCollege students. Being in-state is good, but they don't seem to care a whole lot beyond the two Kalamazoo schools. For example, their first class residency was:
43% Michigan (interestingly still more from U of M than WMU & KC combined, so the preference must not be drastic)
28% California
7% Illinois
4% Minnesota
... and a couple percent from another dozen or so states. This probably pretty closely mirrors their applicant pool.

So, give it a shot! Can't help you much with ideas for the essay, since I do have some ties out that way I would talk about. Good luck with the application cycle :)

Huh, didn't know that. I almost went to K many years ago.

/just tell them about the time you got drunk on Oberon in your essay and you should be good to go for regional connections.
UGH I almost went to K as well over U of M, would have been nice!

WMU/Stryker gives preferential treatment to WMU/KCollege students. Being in-state is good, but they don't seem to care a whole lot beyond the two Kalamazoo schools. For example, their first class residency was:
43% Michigan (interestingly still more from U of M than WMU & KC combined, so the preference must not be drastic)
28% California
7% Illinois
4% Minnesota
... and a couple percent from another dozen or so states. This probably pretty closely mirrors their applicant pool.

So, give it a shot! Can't help you much with ideas for the essay, since I do have some ties out that way I would talk about. Good luck with the application cycle :)
Thank you :) Yeah U of M seems to make up the largest proportion of all the Michigan med school's incoming classes, except for maybe Wayne. Maybe I'll just stick with talking about Oberon and call it a day!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm definitely applying as a New Jersey resident! Only ever been to MI for music festivals, which I will not be mentioning on my app lol

Reactions: 1 users
I'm definitely applying as a New Jersey resident! Only ever been to MI for music festivals, which I will not be mentioning on my app lol
LOL I didn't realize Michigan had any festivals that actually attracted people from other states. Good luck to you!

I'm from MI as well and definitely plan on applying to Western even though I have no ties to the western part of the state. I'm also from Metro-Detroit, but I'd love to stay in MI for school so that means I will apply to every school in this damn state!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think they have a regional bias, as @Goro was saying above. They seem to be biased towards in-state applicants, but that's it. (I hope.)

I applied to Western Michigan SOM this year as an OOS student (only remote tie to the area was that my grandparents lived in Kalamazoo, so I wasn't expecting much). I ended up receiving a II in March, although declined since I'd been accepted elsewhere. I'm guessing you could talk about your Michigan ties in general for that question? Good luck this cycle!

Interestingly, the acceptance rate last year was 1.9% for IS, and 1.3% for OOS. Harvard style numbers! The odds of landing an II is ~10% for IS and ~5% for OOS.

I don't think they have a regional bias, as @Goro was saying above. They seem to be biased towards in-state applicants, but that's it. (I hope.)

Interestingly, the acceptance rate last year was 1.9% for IS, and 1.3% for OOS. Harvard style numbers! The odds of landing an II is ~10% for IS and ~5% for OOS.

Don't read too much into the stats. There are simply more IS students applying to WMed than OOS. California is a close second though.

upload_2016-5-25_14-0-51.png

As a potential OOS applicant here, had this question myself, thanks for asking OP! :)

Didn't realize Founders was in MI. All Day IPA is my go to 12 pack for a group or party.

TBH, part of the reason I'm applying here is because I really like Michigan alot. The lakes are one of the most beautiful parts of the US.

Didn't realize Founders was in MI. All Day IPA is my go to 12 pack for a group or party.

TBH, part of the reason I'm applying here is because I really like Michigan alot. The lakes are one of the most beautiful parts of the US.
Let's be honest Michigan is the best. And founder's is from Grand Rapids! Their restaurant and brewery is right downtown.

Personally I think Short's is where it's at.

Do any of you know if the Michigan schools have a regional preference for those in the upper midwest? Wisconsin/Minnesota/Iowa area?

Do any of you know if the Michigan schools have a regional preference for those in the upper midwest? Wisconsin/Minnesota/Iowa area?
I am pretty sure that outside the state, location is irrelevant.

I am pretty sure that outside the state, location is irrelevant.

I do know that Central Michigan has a preference for students to practice in rural northern Michigan. Likewise, Wayne State has a preference for students with ties to urban areas. As @femmegoblue mentions though, I think that only applies to in-state applicants, when you're OOS, I don't think it matters.

I do know that Central Michigan has a preference for students to practice in rural northern Michigan. Likewise, Wayne State has a preference for students with ties to urban areas. As @femmegoblue mentions though, I think that only applies to in-state applicants, when you're OOS, I don't think it matters.
Agreed. Obviously since Western is a private school, the OOS/IS issue is a lot less important, so I would bet WMed and OUWB are better for OOS applicants.

Agreed. Obviously since Western is a private school, the OOS/IS issue is a lot less important, so I would bet WMed and OUWB are better for OOS applicants.

Or just don't apply at all to any of the schools here so us in-staters have a better shot ;)

(that's a joke btw)