Is it worth it to even submit secondaries at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 7 more secondaries that I received at the beginning of August... Is it even worth submitting now that it's past labor day?

For context, I have a 3.47 cGPA and 520 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

man, I got secondaries I received in the beginning of JULY and I think Im gonna turn in a few more

Wanna trade stats btw? that MCAT score is gonna get you in. I have a high GPA and low mcat. 3.9+, 510

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I kidding? nah. I submitted well over 40 secondaries already. A few are just collecting dust in my inbox

What do you mean ?? OMG ,is it TOO late now? with secondaries??'
I am working on submitting the first one!! in+/- 1 day!

Last edited:
Guess I might as well submit the rest at this point

Wow , is it too late for secondaries??:oops:oo

let me be very clear: It is not too late for secondaries .

While have secondaries in prior to Labor Day would be optimal, the impact on your chances of submitting before end is September is minor. Lets say by the end of September if perhaps late but not very. Oct is very late. BTW that is not to say by submitting in October or even November will be absolute death to your chances. Each application will be fully evaluated but with dwindling interview slots by that point, it becomes harder to be invited. I have had late but really good candidates (mostly non trads with atypical backgrounds) get secondaries in December and get II but these, of course, are very uncommon.
What about the end of this week? Is it any different from having submitted prior to labor day?

I think you need to add a Xanax gum machine as well.

there is no magic formula or specific half- life across all or any of the 140+ medicals schools on the impact of secondaries timing. Go spend your time, energy, and focus on writing great secondaries instead of speculating and obessing over something you cant change at this point.

you dont get in by being fast, you get in by beung good. this is why I keep a valium salt lick in the student waiting area, which now includes a prozac kool-aid dispenser.

Reactions: 1 user
No Valium, Prozac and Xanax! No relaxing! Light the fuse and get this rocket off the ground. Being tardy reflects badly on you. Get out of here and finish those secondaries!

Reactions: 9 users
I have 7 more secondaries that I received at the beginning of August... Is it even worth submitting now that it's past labor day?

For context, I have a 3.47 cGPA and 520 MCAT.
Yes- in fact some schools that pre screen based on the initial application are still deciding which students to offer a secondary to. Take a deep breath and get them written!

man, I got secondaries I received in the beginning of JULY and I think Im gonna turn in a few more

Wanna trade stats btw? that MCAT score is gonna get you in. I have a high GPA and low mcat. 3.9+, 510

Lmao how is that a low MCAT?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao how is that a low MCAT?

Yea right lmao. Those with <510, Don't be discouraged! You will likely make excellent doctors, if not better than these gunners.

520 master race tbh
but what about people with less than 3.5

Last edited:
520 master race tbh
but what about people with less than 3.5

I'm not discouraged at all. I have less than 510 and around a 3.5. I am confident that I can **** on half of these "Pre-Med students." Don't forget that those who do well post often, those who don't quietly sulk and stalk. Some of these "students" and "applicant" are also full of ****. Lying through their teeth in order to discourage others.

I'm not discouraged at all. I have less than 510 and around a 3.5. I am confident that I can **** on half of these "Pre-Med students." Don't forget that those who do well post often, those who don't quietly sulk and stalk. Some of these "students" and "applicant" are also full of ****. Lying through their teeth in order to discourage others.
Tell us how you really feel

Reactions: 2 users
Tell us how you really feel

Lol that is how i really feel. Any person who tries to discourage me with higher scores simply can't. Are they smarter than me? Possibly. Is that a reason to be discouraged? NO The best doctors are NOT the ones with the best grades despite common suspicion. They are the ones who can best provide for their patients. Pure and simple. If you are confident you can do that (THIS IS NOT AN EASY TASK) then apply.

I agree it's good to be confident, but it's also good to be realistic that you have a higher chance of getting a II with a higher GPA and higher MCAT. Not saying you don't have a chance, but when you say you're confident that you can **** on half of the pre-med students, you have to remember than many people with 3.7/510+ don't get into medical school. Obviously people with lower stats get in all the time, but when you said you have less than a 510, how less are we talking about? Like a 508-509 is still fine, but lower than that with a 3.5. Unless you are URM or live in a lucky state, it will be harder for you. Not at all impossible, just more difficult.

I agree it's good to be confident, but it's also good to be realistic that you have a higher chance of getting a II with a higher GPA and higher MCAT. Not saying you don't have a chance, but when you say you're confident that you can **** on half of the pre-med students, you have to remember than many people with 3.7/510+ don't get into medical school. Obviously people with lower stats get in all the time, but when you said you have less than a 510, how less are we talking about? Like a 508-509 is still fine, but lower than that with a 3.5. Unless you are URM or live in a lucky state, it will be harder for you. Not at all impossible, just more difficult.

I have a 507. I am applying broadly and keeping my options open. I studied the MSAR and forums heavily and learned which schools like IS vs OOS, what grades they accept from 10-90 percentiles, etc. I am located in NY and am NOT applying to schools like columbia and NYU, and why should I? I am confident I will be an excellent doctor but I KNOW that my chances of entering schools like that are VERY tiny. Every Student/ Pre-med who is worth his/her salt needs to do this and if they don't, why even apply and clog the system?

It will be hard and will likely have to move for med school. Luckily for me I have the opportunity to do so if required, others might not unfortunately. Sacrifices will and have to be made. Every Pre-med wanting to go to medical school needs to ingrain that into their philosophy, regardless of scores IMO.

At the end of the day, we are All working to become doctors, this isn't a pissing contest of who has the highest scores. Do high scores help pave the way? HeLL yea. I've never heard doctors asking each other their MCAT scores tho.

Last edited:
No Valium, Prozac and Xanax! No relaxing! Light the fuse and get this rocket off the ground. Being tardy reflects badly on you. Get out of here and finish those secondaries!

If I remember correctly, most secondary deadlines are between October - December, and November 15 / December 1 are very common. Does your school ever get superstars that apply extremely late (i.e. on or within a week of the deadline)? How does your school view them - do they get interviews, and if they do, is late submission still looked upon poorly post-interview?

I have a 507. I am applying broadly and keeping my options open. I studied the MSAR and forums heavily and learned which schools like IS vs OOS, what grades they accept from 10-90 percentiles, etc. I am located in NY and am NOT applying to schools like columbia and NYU, and why should I? I am confident I will be an excellent doctor but I KNOW that my chances of entering schools like that are VERY tiny. Every Student/ Pre-med who is worth his/her salt needs to do this and if they don't, why even apply and clog the system?

It will be hard and will likely have to move for med school. Luckily for me I have the opportunity to do so if required, others might not unfortunately. Sacrifices will and have to be made. Every Pre-med wanting to go to medical school needs to ingrain that into their philosophy, regardless of scores IMO.

You have the right attitude! I hope you didn't take my post as criticism that you're not getting in or anything like that. You have a shot at many schools with a 3.5/507. Obviously no one can guarantee anything, but you are in range for schools for sure. Is your sgpa around 3.5 as well?

You have the right attitude! I hope you didn't take my post as criticism that you're not getting in or anything like that. You have a shot at many schools with a 3.5/507. Obviously no one can guarantee anything, but you are in range for schools for sure. Is your sgpa around 3.5 as well?

Yea, my sGPA is higher than the other actually o_O. Stupid Spanish ****ed it all up.

If I remember correctly, most secondary deadlines are between October - December, and November 15 / December 1 are very common. Does your school ever get superstars that apply extremely late (i.e. on or within a week of the deadline)? How does your school view them - do they get interviews, and if they do, is late submission still looked upon poorly post-interview?

It is rare to get someone who is a superstar who is not so "on the ball" that they haven't applied well before the deadline. There will be a few people who don't know how things are done, often they are non-trads with a do-it-yourself post-bac after changing careers. If they are truly stellar, they might be saved an interview slot toward the end of the cycle but for the most part, the people who apply late are weak, or they look weak after we read a few thousand applications and are starting to feel jaded.

to be fair, a 510 is a good score, but my section breakdown was questionable. My biology section is around a 9, so below the 10th percentile for many schools. My score was heavily boosted by a really good psych score, which I heard many med schools don't even know what to do with

to be fair, a 510 is a good score, but my section breakdown was questionable. My biology section is around a 9, so below the 10th percentile for many schools. My score was heavily boosted by a really good psych score, which I heard many med schools don't even know what to do with
Oh I was aiming for a McDonalds joke when I paged you :(

Oh I was aiming for a McDonalds joke when I paged you :(
oh lol I just realized I replied to the wrong post. thats not to say that having a high psych score is BAD, it can still help on the job at McDonalds. Mcdonalds admissions is moving in the same path as medical admissions in that they now value holistic perspectives and psychosocial understanding.

As a McEmployee its always important to view the customer as a whole-person. When a customer walks in and is unsure of what to order and asks for your input, it is important to not just prescribe him a "Big Mac" every time. Too many Mcdonalds employees have historically been McBurger pushers, just as many physicians have been pill pushers. Every customer should be viewed on a case-by-case basis, and I will show compassion by spending upwards of 25 minutes with each customer to help them decide their next meal. It is important to gather a full medical history, preferences, allergies, socioeconomic factors, and many other key pieces of information so I will be able to prescribe the best McMeal for them, and so I can adjust the amount of lettuce and tomato on the burger just enough to increase their satisfaction and increase their life expectancy.

its grueling work, but somebody needs to do it. A satisfied McCustomer will show more love and compassion toward his children and spouse, and as you know, a happy family is the basis for civilization.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
oh lol I just realized I replied to the wrong post. thats not to say that having a high psych score is BAD, it can still help on the job at McDonalds. Mcdonalds admissions is moving in the same path as medical admissions in that they now value holistic perspectives and psychosocial understanding.

As a McEmployee its always important to view the customer as a whole-person. When a customer walks in and is unsure of what to order and asks for your input, it is important to not just prescribe him a "Big Mac" every time. Too many Mcdonalds employees have historically been McBurger pushers, just as many physicians have been pill pushers. Every customer should be viewed on a case-by-case basis, and I will show compassion by spending upwards of 25 minutes with each customer to help them decide their next meal. It is important to gather a full medical history, preferences, allergies, socioeconomic factors, and many other key pieces of information so I will be able to prescribe the best McMeal for them, and so I can adjust the amount of lettuce and tomato on the burger just enough to increase their satisfaction and increase their life expectancy.

its grueling work, but somebody needs to do it. A satisfied McCustomer will show more love and compassion toward his children and spouse, and as you know, a happy family is the basis for civilization.
Are you still waiting on the 3 II's from McDonalds?

When people say be complete before labor day do they mean submit secondary before labor day or be sure that you get the "complete" email before labor day?

thanks! hey I wanted to ask you, so I wanted to get my McMasters degree and I just saw a school on MSAR called McMasters in Canada. do you know what McMasters is? I know they invented CASPER but is it like a cross between med school and mcdonalds? Is it affiliated with McDonalds? Do they give an MD degree, McMaster degree, or both? I'm confused, maybe I'll post a thread about it later today. Do you think its late to submit my application to that school? thanks!

It is rare to get someone who is a superstar who is not so "on the ball" that they haven't applied well before the deadline. There will be a few people who don't know how things are done, often they are non-trads with a do-it-yourself post-bac after changing careers. If they are truly stellar, they might be saved an interview slot toward the end of the cycle but for the most part, the people who apply late are weak, or they look weak after we read a few thousand applications and are starting to feel jaded.

What should we do if we CAN'T get in our app on time? My Pre-Med Committee doesn't send in the committee letter until nowish or even slightly later! Would it be better to not apply through them? Or should we apply through them and still end up "late" with the completion date?

thanks! hey I wanted to ask you, so I wanted to get my McMasters degree and I just saw a school on MSAR called McMasters in Canada. do you know what McMasters is? I know they invented CASPER but is it like a cross between med school and mcdonalds? Is it affiliated with McDonalds? Do they give an MD degree, McMaster degree, or both? I'm confused, maybe I'll post a thread about it later today. Do you think its late to submit my application to that school? thanks!
I legit thought you were joking and then I decided to search MSAR on a whim...

I am still writing and submitting secondaries, and planning to add some more schools later this month. I am below optimal stats applicant but I want to leave no regrets in this cycle

I didn't get my primary submitted to AMCAS until 9-8. I'm going to fill out every secondary I receive. Have to take every shot you have and not give up hope. Good luck to everyone one, do your best and hopefully we all succeed.

Last edited:
Plenty of people aren't complete yet due to factors outside their control. I personally wasn't complete until this week because my school sends out committee letters late. Crank out those secondaries in the next week and you shouldn't be at a disadvantage :)

LORs, particularly committee letters, are often the last thing to arrive. It is better to apply with a committee letter, particularly from UG school well-known for premeds, then it would be applying early without one.

Thank you! Does this mean that schools then start reading applications before the committee letter arrives? Assuming that it is the last "missing" component?

@kitkat13 I don't think they will READ your application unless EVERYTHING is in.

@Pusheen thanks for the encouraging I'm trying, NO TIME LEFt!