Is it worth it to take extra science courses while still applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebuchadnezzarII

CALI born and raised.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
BCMP is already decided since the AMCAS was submitted a while ago and transcript is verified. I was wondering if it would have any impact at all if I took an extra science course or two during the application cycle (while doing other things). Or is it just a waste of money? Registration time is almost up and I'm a little confused as to what I should do now. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest the following priorities for an app year:
1. mental health (such as get off the adderall, be able to function in society outside school/home)
2. physical health (such as nutrition, fitness, weight loss, sleep hygiene)
3. financial health (such as pay off credit cards, disentangle from vampires)
4. fun things (such as travel, music, social expansion)
5. anything academic (such as more science classes to "prepare" better for med school)

IMHO it should be required to live independently as a wage-earning adult without parental support before going to med school, but that's not the prevailing opinion among my classmates whose parents pay their bills.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
IMHO it should be required to live independently as a wage-earning adult without parental support before going to med school, but that's not the prevailing opinion among my classmates whose parents pay their bills.

Best of luck to you.

I strongly agree with this. But this would also throw back the start-date for medical school quite a few years for many people. Thank you for your comment.

Members don't see this ad :)
...throw back the start-date for medical school quite a few years for many people...
Why years? Spend six months scraping by on minimum-ish wage work. Join the many, for a little while. Discomfort is the classroom of the soul.

I'm a second year applicant. I'll be working full time, but I'm also going to take a year of A&P at the school where I earned my BS. A&P didn't fit into my schedule, so I'm happy to have the opportunity to take it now. I've been told by a physician who is a member of an adcom that staying involved in science looks good to interviewers.

I'm a second year applicant. I'll be working full time, but I'm also going to take a year of A&P at the school where I earned my BS. A&P didn't fit into my schedule, so I'm happy to have the opportunity to take it now. I've been told by a physician who is a member of an adcom that staying involved in science looks good to interviewers.

Cool, thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

Last edited:
BCMP is already decided since the AMCAS was submitted a while ago and transcript is verified. I was wondering if it would have any impact at all if I took an extra science course or two during the application cycle (while doing other things). Or is it just a waste of money? Registration time is almost up and I'm a little confused as to what I should do now. Thank you all.

If you don't like your GPA and you are a first time applicant I would say this is smart. If you are already a re-applicant I wouldn't really advise this as a) it won't have any impact on this cycles chances b) you really don't want to have to go through this again for a 3rd time.

I saw from your other thread for your stats you have a 3.57/3.26 34. That should be completely fine for a number of DO's. Apply broadly to a large number of lower tier MD programs and you might find a II or two there as well.

I am planning on doing the same thing, but am trying to see where to take the courses. Do you know where you would take yours?

Reactions: 1 user
I am planning on doing the same thing, but am trying to see where to take the courses. Do you know where you would take yours?
Just try your state school or a public school near you. I hate to say this, but compared to all the undergraduate courses I took during my undergrad at an Ivy League schools, the classes at my state school are a complete joke.

Just try your state school or a public school near you. I hate to say this, but compared to all the undergraduate courses I took during my undergrad at an Ivy League schools, the classes at my state school are a complete joke.
Thanks for your advice and all the best for the admissions process!

If you GPA needs help, every bit of good grades helps

I am auditing A&P I and II at my alma mater because I was only able to take CVA and Vert. Phys while in college. I am only doing this for myself however, because (fingers crossed) if I do get into medical school this cycle I believe it will help me during 1st year. I am also a big time nerd and need to be involved in some sort of academics even if its only an hour 2x a week haha