Is it worth retaking the MCAT for a better VR score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skargylejohn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So I'm applying to an even mix of MD and DO schools.
cGPA - 3.55
sGPA - 3.45

diagnosed with ADHD two years ago, since then avg 3.7-4.0 each semester

My MCAT score is: 28O
PS 9
BS 12
VR 7
WS O

ECs - 300 hrs clinical, 600 hrs research, lead team of 15 to Mexico on a medical missions trip (team member two other times), studied abroad at Oxford University, shadowed a cohort of MDs for a week in a county hospital, biology and anatomy tutor for two years, founded and ran a philanthropic organization in my college that raised money and awareness for Children's Hospital Los Angeles, member of my local Phi Delta Epsilon pre-medical chapter.

My VR was much better on my practice exams (avg - 9-11) but I used a strategy that wasted time on the real exam, and made the mistake of taking 3 practice exams the week before the date of my MCAT (stupid :/)

I know I can do better, but didn't have time to prepare for MCAT round 2 because of my ECs, since I'm graduating in May 2012 and am already set up for a gap year I figured it would be worth a shot to apply and see what happens.

Any thoughts on my shot at getting into an MD or DO school?

PS - I'm a bit older, a California resident, and a non-URM

Members don't see this ad.

You're perfectly fine for DO, as well as some of the state schools + the medium-low tier schools as well. The bigger name MD schools will want a 10.10/10 minimum.

So, don't bother with Harvard or Stanford and you'll do fine.

Hey All,

cGPA - 3.55
sGPA - 3.45

PS 9
BS 12
VR 7
WS O

ECs - 300 hrs clinical, 600 hrs research, lead team of 15 to Mexico on a medical missions trip (team member two other times), studied abroad at Oxford University, shadowed a cohort of MDs for a week in a county hospital, biology and anatomy tutor for two years, founded and ran a philanthropic organization in my college that raised money and awareness for Children's Hospital Los Angeles, member of my local Phi Delta Epsilon pre-medical chapter.

My VR was much better on my practice exams (avg - 9-11) but I used a strategy that wasted time on the real exam, and made the mistake of taking 3 practice exams the week before the date of my MCAT (stupid :/)

I know I can do better, but didn't have time to prepare for MCAT round 2 because of my ECs, since I'm graduating in May 2012 and am already set up for a gap year I figured it would be worth a shot to apply and see what happens.

You're perfectly fine for DO, as well as some of the state schools + the medium-low tier schools as well. The bigger name MD schools will want a 10.10/10 minimum.

So, don't bother with Harvard or Stanford and you'll do fine.
Thanks Goro!
How can I determine which schools are "medium-low tier"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All,

cGPA - 3.55
sGPA - 3.45

PS 9
BS 12
VR 7
WS O

Actually, as a Cali resident I think you may be in trouble with that MCAT for MD programs. Then again, I don't know, as I am not one myself. I'd wait until someone explicitly says your MCAT won't be a huge problem despite your CA residency before you rule a retake out. =/ Hopefully you're alright!

Edit: A CA resident started another thread with almost identical numbers (although his GPAs are overall, as opposed to post-upward trend), and strong ECs, and people are giving him favorable chances, particularly OOS. Still get direct feedback of course, but it looks pretty solid for you. =)

Last edited:
Actually, as a Cali resident I think you may be in trouble with that MCAT for MD programs. Then again, I don't know, as I am not one myself. I'd wait until someone explicitly says your MCAT won't be a huge problem despite your CA residency before you rule a retake out. =/ Hopefully you're alright!

Edit: A CA resident started another thread with almost identical numbers (although his GPAs are overall, as opposed to post-upward trend), and strong ECs, and people are giving him favorable chances, particularly OOS. Still get direct feedback of course, but it looks pretty solid for you. =)

For MD schools: Apply broadly. I currently interview students and have come across all sorts of records. I will resound the concerns of the above posters and state that your MCAT score is slightly concerning regarding the spread but the number is okay. Also keep in mind, if you were to retake the MCAT, you would need to increase your score 2-3 points and maintain/increase your spread of scores (see other threads specific to MCAT scores for more info on this). I think you have a great CV with all your involvement in other activities and that will balance out your score. cGPA is solid. I think anything above 3.5 and 27-28 will get you at least one MD seat. Maybe not Stanford or Harvard but again, apply broadly and smartly. I think the whole IVY thing is overhyped for med schools since the curriculum everywhere is tightly controlled by the ACGME. Yeah it may count for some things but that's another topic of itself.
Interviews count for a lot as well so if you establish a great rapport and come off as a great person in general, I think you will definitely get in. You have a lot to talk about, use it.

One more, if not more so, important reminder: And apply damn early.

One more, if not more so, important reminder: And apply damn early.
Yeah, I was planning on submitting my app as soon as I can. I filled out 90% of my AMCAS app last year but decided not to apply, can I access that information and transfer it over to the 2012 AMCAS app, or do I have to start from scratch?

Yeah, I was planning on submitting my app as soon as I can. I filled out 90% of my AMCAS app last year but decided not to apply, can I access that information and transfer it over to the 2012 AMCAS app, or do I have to start from scratch?
All but the most basic identifying information wil disappear when the new application opens, unless you submitted the application and paid the fee.

Did you print it out?

All but the most basic identifying information wil disappear when the new application opens, unless you submitted the application and paid the fee.

Did you print it out?
No I did not, but I have rough drafts of all my essay's saved. No worries though, I was assuming I'd have to start over again so I've prepped for that.

Thanks for all the help all.

So using the MSAR I have narrowed down the schools I'm gonna apply to come June. I should say that I equally would like to go to MD or DO school. I would apply only to DO schools, but I am still considering surgery and I understand that MD schools would give me the best chance for that. The other specialty I'm considering is ER and I understand that DO is just fine for that.

Please let me know which I should take off and which I should add. Thanks!

MD Schools
-Boston U
-UCD
-UCI
-OHSU (thinking of moving up there, get residency, I was born there and have loads of family in and around Portland, OR)
-Creighton
-Wake Forest
-Loma Linda
-NYMC
-Rush
-Rosalind Franklin
-Medical College of Wisconsin
-MSU
-University of Illinois
-USC
-UCLA

DO Schools
-PCOM
-Western
-LECOM
-Midwestern
-MSUCOM
-DMU
-NYCOM
-UNECOM

so I think for DO you wouldn't have to do a retake and you might be ok but I think for MD programs, you need to have at least a 30 or higher to be competitive...like solid 10's across the boards

Yeah that's what the stats say, but there is a ~40% chance of an acceptance. I've gotten some pretty positive feedback from a few on here so I'm gonna give it a shot. If I don't get any interviews at MD schools and I decide I'm set on doing surgery I'll retake, get a higher score, and re-apply.

It's your money, but are you sure you want to include USC, UCLA, BU, and Wake? Have you thoroughly gone through the MSAR. This is first and foremost a number game, if your MCAT is not on track with their average, it's going to be very very tough.

Remember, the only people who get any slack in this process for slightly lower numbers are URMs (those 25% stats you may be looking at). However, you state above that you are not URM though. Ultimately, it's your decision. Good luck.

Thanks! I'll take them off of my list. A lot of the comments I have gotten from my friends who are physicians, post adcom members, and med school matriculants have said that adcoms are looking more for well-rounded students. My EC is extensive (see above). I previously said that during my practice exams (AAMC and KAPLAN) I scored considerably higher than a 28. I attribute my low score to wearing myself out the week before I took the exam (took four practice exams in that time, stupid, I know) and using a VR method that wasted time and left me scrambling just to finish. I was initially planning on taking the MCAT again in May, however I took on a full-time leadership role (volunteer) at a non-profit fundraising program and did not have the time to adequately prepare.

If I have absolutely no chance of getting an interview, that's what I want to hear. That way I can save money, time, and energy, prep for next year then apply in 2013. Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
I'm not saying you have no chance at an interview, I'm just saying that it will be an uphill battle at schools with higher numbers. Check the MSAR numbers and decide from there, that's all. Yes, they are looking for well-rounded applicants, but the whole well-rounded aspect comes AFTER they screen for numbers.

Thanks knocked up.

Anybody else have thoughts on my list?