Is it worth using secondary essays to address 2 B's in Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hugh_Honey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My freshman year I took the physics course for majors instead of the pre-med physics. Ended up with a B in each semester, largely because the course was very math-intensive, and I had yet to take multivariable calculus. I graduated with a 3.62 GPA, and these two B's were the worst grades I got all through college.

I was wandering if it was worth addressing these physics courses in secondary essays that allow for an open prompt, such as "Is there anything else you'd like to tell us?" or "Is there anything of concern you want to address?" I'd love to hear your input. Sorry if I'm being neurotic. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No, Sounds like something you would explain at an interview if, and only if, it comes up

Reactions: 1 users
No need to explain, B is a decent grade.

I'm curious though, how does your cGPA drop to 3.62 if your worst grades were 2 Bs? I assume the rest were A or A-?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No, Sounds like something you would explain at an interview if, and only if, it comes up

Agreed, I've seen adcoms echo that same advice on here. There's nothing even wrong with a B though so I'd be surprised if someone even brought it up.

No need to explain, B is a decent grade.

I'm curious though, how does your cGPA drop to 3.62 if your worst grades were 2 Bs? I assume the rest were A or A-?

Thanks for the input. Most of my grades were A- and B+, with some A's. If I recall correctly, an A- is 3.67, so some B+'s and a couple B's would drop that a little bit.

Thanks for the input. Most of my grades were A- and B+, with some A's. If I recall correctly, an A- is 3.67, so some B+'s and a couple B's would drop that a little bit.

Oh wow, dumb of me to forget B+s haha.

Only if you want to show that you're the stereotypical hyper-neurotic, overanxious, overwheening pre-med.

My freshman year I took the physics course for majors instead of the pre-med physics. Ended up with a B in each semester, largely because the course was very math-intensive, and I had yet to take multivariable calculus. I graduated with a 3.62 GPA, and these two B's were the worst grades I got all through college.

I was wandering if it was worth addressing these physics courses in secondary essays that allow for an open prompt, such as "Is there anything else you'd like to tell us?" or "Is there anything of concern you want to address?" I'd love to hear your input. Thank you all.

Reactions: 9 users
Only if you want to show that you're the stereotypical hyper-neurotic, overanxious, overwheening pre-med.

Exactly what I was thinking. If it was a C, Op, it might be a better idea to explain, and you should definitely explain if you had a D or F. Explaining low grades doesn't mean A-s or Bs, those are good grades.

+1

I doubt anyone will ask about it.