Is July 29th MCAT too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stradgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I took the MCAT last May and got a 31L. I just got rejected to all MD schools for this cycle and plan to apply again. Will taking the July 29th MCAT be too late for this cycle?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

When folks don't get in it can be broken down into Scores, grades, experiences/personal statement/reccs, interview skills, and applying realistically. Anyone of the those five areas can be detrimental to your overall application.

I am not sure if the MCAT was your issue unless you did very poorly in one section and rocked the other two. Even with a L.

Look at your whole application: First how many schools did you apply to? Were they all top tier? Did you have state schools you applied to? Consider broadening where and the number/type of schools.

Second: Are there grade issues? Allo's average any retaken course, DO's will replace. either way any failed or low graded course needs to be addressed,

Third, do you have enough clinical and volunteer expereince. Is your PS solid? Do you have rockstar reccs?

Fourth, not sure if you got interviews, but if you did...think about how to improve.

My best advice is to go to a advisor or someone in the fieled and make sure your application is top notch before throwing more money at the process!
Hope that helps.
Marcia

My science GPA is a low 3.34 so the only chance to improve my application is to get a higher MCAT. I'm am older non-trad, that went through a steep learning curve in a post-bacc program. I was trained as a professional musician who went through conservatory with no science education. I guess that's the weakest part of my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would forgo retaking the mcat and apply better and to DO schools. The problem is that your sgpa is low enough to need a 36 or so to make up for it, and that is a HUGE jump. Anything lower than that though isn't going to be high enough to offset your sgpa. DO schools are generally more accepting of nontrads also. but it is up to you.

What Frky said.... Apply DO or low-tier MD with your stats and skip the second MCAT...

My science GPA is a low 3.34 so the only chance to improve my application is to get a higher MCAT. I'm am older non-trad, that went through a steep learning curve in a post-bacc program. I was trained as a professional musician who went through conservatory with no science education. I guess that's the weakest part of my application?

Even with taking the risk on a higher MCAT (keep in mind just because you're retaking doesn't mean you are going to automatically improve your score, how does your 31 compare to your AAMC practice tests?), 3.34 is still too low to get you into mid and top-tier schools. I agree with Marciah, leave the MCAT alone and focus on the other parts of your application (unless you were consistently scoring 40's on the practice tests).