Is laboratory rotation possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr026

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know whether a foreign medical graduate could apply just for laboratory rotation (in order to get familiar with laboratory research), without being enroled in a graduate program.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely, its not formal at all. Just email PIs who interest you. We had a foreign medical grad do a postdoc in my PhD lab, and he moved onto residency afterwards.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the response. Would that be possible for a fresh medical graduate?​

Members don't see this ad :)
This individual was straight out of medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot, Valentin.

3 years, he took step 2 and 3 during this time, but he did not study that much. What I learned is IMGs who learn properly from Harrison's end up knowing things way better than us. Lectures, qbanks etc are no substitute.

He ended up getting a 270+ on both exams and matched at a top 10 Internal Medicine program.

3 years, he took step 2 and 3 during this time, but he did not study that much. What I learned is IMGs who learn properly from Harrison's end up knowing things way better than us. Lectures, qbanks etc are no substitute.

He ended up getting a 270+ on both exams and matched at a top 10 Internal Medicine program.

Great!
Now I feel inspired.
Isnt taking years off to do a phd/postdoc a disadvantage when you want to return to the clinics?
I mean, beside the good scores, does it make one more competitive?

Well I should add that he was highly productive in the laboratory. Two first author manuscripts and about 4 middle author publications. He also presented at several national basic science and clinical meetings. I would not stay out of the hospital for more than 3 years though, then they might get nervous about your clinical skills.

Well I should add that he was highly productive in the laboratory. Two first author manuscripts and about 4 middle author publications. He also presented at several national basic science and clinical meetings. I would not stay out of the hospital for more than 3 years though, then they might get nervous about your clinical skills.

Yes. I agree. I think the best thing is to get a part time clinical job while doing the post-doc. Thanks a lot for sharing this success story. It shows that nothing is impossible, as long as you have goals.