Is listing off the books employment a no-no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tommyguns89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
nvm

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If it was off the books, which is illegal by the way, why would you list it at all?

If it was off the books, which is illegal by the way, why would you list it at all?

I guess one possibility is that he was a private tutor and did not file taxes for it but wants to get "credit" from medical schools for the teaching activity.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol I think you're over-thinking this, but that's just me. If it was a meaningful experience, list it. The school isn't going to find out you got paid in cash and never paid taxes. Quite frankly, I bet they don't even care.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess one possibility is that he was a private tutor and did not file taxes for it but wants to get "credit" from medical schools for the teaching activity.

Hadn't considered that. I just assumed OP was talking about an actual under the table job.

Well, Im not saying any of this involves me. But lets say there was a situation where there was a post-bacc who could only take the pre-reqs part time(because at his school you need to take che 1 and 2 before you can take physics and you also need che 1 before you can take bio 1, stuff like that). It would look pretty bad if that and a few hours of volunteering was all that he did with his time.

Except that's not what you originally asked, you were specifically asking about tax implications. If that's the case, I'm sure your "friend" could fill their remaining time with volunteering or some other EC.

ADCOMs don't have time to go through your taxes, let alone even verify your activities. Don't look too much into this. Go ahead and list it. Getting paid under the table is more common than you think.

I feel like people frequently list tutoring independently on applications without filing for a tax return.

Also, I do believe it is not necessary to file for a tax return if the yearly income was less than ~4000.

Hypothetically, what type of activity might such off the books employment be?

And is there a way it can be 'cleaned up' for tax and FAFSA purposes without getting an employer in trouble? Some classifications of work do not necessarily need to be reported -- for example, working in a family business, being an independent contractor and earning less than $$600, etc. I don't know what all of them are, but you may want to look.

Odds of getting caught are probably quite low, but consequences of getting caught could be pretty serious.

I feel like people frequently list tutoring independently on applications without filing for a tax return.

Also, I do believe it is not necessary to file for a tax return if the yearly income was less than ~4000.

In this hypothetical situation it is definitely less than 4000 dollars per year.

Last edited: