Is MD/MPH without doing residency an option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CristaGalli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have done an extensive amount of research and am still yet to find any definitive or useful information about this new field.
I love medicine and am very certain that an MD degree is in my future. However, I do not necessarily want to practice medicine fulltime. I want to add an MPH degree with an emphasis in either Health Policy and Management or Toxicology. I do not necessarily want to do residency and would love to go into industry.
I know all that sounds rather vague, but is this option a possibility? I ask this question in the allo forum because I want real answers from medical students who i'm sure have pondered this situation and most likely have more of an understanding of my plight. If you could please enlighten me on the lucrativity(not sure if its a word) of such a field(MD/MPH toxicology), average salaries, possible industries to work in, and any more information relevant to understanding this field.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

CristaGalli said:
I want to add an MPH degree with an emphasis in either Health Policy and Management or Toxicology. I do not necessarily want to do residency and would love to go into industry.

IMO, having an MD without any clinical experience behind it won't be of much value over an MPH by itself.

Click here for some information regarding public health careers and salaries. It's not particularly lucrative, in most cases, compared to clinical medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
BrettBatchelor said:
It seems that doing an intern year and passing step 3 for a license is the minimum.

Yes, I'd recommend doing at least an intern year. Having an MD is somewhat useless if you can't be licensed.

If you want to do tox, either just get an MPH in tox or environmental health or get an MD, do a peds/PM/EM residency and then a tox fellowship. Or you can do both...and if you didn't care about which residency, then go for the preventive med because those give an MPH in course. In summary:

1) MPH in tox or EHS: 2 years
2) MD + Peds/EM residency + tox fellowship = 4 + 3 + 2 = 9 years
3) MD/MPH + Peds/EM residency + tox fellowship = 5 + 3 + 2 = 10 years
4) MD + PM residency (with MPH) + tox fellowship = 4 + 3 + 2 = 9 years

Obviously an MPH or MD alone would involve extremely different job descriptions. If you want both, option 4 is the quickest way.

Just brainstorming... If you're interested in toxicology, why not consider a PharmD?